Topic

Sun Protection for Legs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sun Protection for Legs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I'm making this the Summer of Cancer Prevention.

I'm gonna be wearing an OR Sun Runner cap, long sleeves, and some sun gloves in place of sunscreen. Can I wear regular running shorts while hiking, or do I really need long pants to ensure I won't burn?

Experiences?

steven franchuk

@surf

For short hikes shorts are fine (time is dependent on altitude, tree cover, and how quickly you burn) for longer hikes you need long pants.

I use convertible pants. If it gets hot I zip off the legs. Unfortunately I burn very easily so later in the day start to burn.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

If you are already going to be wearing sun gloves, then it would make sense to wear pants.

I think that sun gloves are excessive and unnecessary unless it's 120 degrees and you are hiking in the Sahara.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Years ago, I used to backpack while wearing shorts. But then I needed something for sun protection, mosquito protection, and maybe for a slight bit of warmth underneath rain pants.

I used some ultra-thin men's pajama bottoms that were made out of cotton thinner than a handkerchief.

–B.G.–

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

to add on to what Bob said, scrub pants (medical uniform) are super light, thin, dry fast, and cheap.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I throw on pants and call it good. I hate wearing sunscreen and always forget to reapply.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For years I've been using Neutrogena sunblock.

Last year Consumer reports tested sunblocks and rated Neutrogena #1 for UV A and UV B protection.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Although I don't worry about burning, I wear lightweight Craghoppers NosiLife Lite trousers when hiking. They keep me cleaner and protect me from brush. I also like the Columbia Tamiami long sleeve fishing shirts for sun protection. They work for me out here in the west but don't think I'd be as comfortable in a humid climate.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Pants. I simply don't hike in shorts. Hate having to apply sunblock to such a large area.

Eric Neutrogena has some nasty stuff in it – check for the best rated sunblocks on EWG's website which have the least nasty additives. I'll check the one my wife and I use when I get a chance.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Pants designed for sun like the RailRyder Ecomesh and other brands.

I have come to the point that I wear sun pants all the time for sun and bug protection.
    The Ecomesh are also lighter than most convertible hiking pants, but I bet less durable.

I disturbed a hornets nest last year, the one time that I wore shorts. They only stung my exposed legs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools