Topic

North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips North Lake-Evolution Valley-Darwin Bench and Canyon-Over Lamarck Col And Back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Planning a trip for Mid August. I would like to start at North Lake, MAYBE, yes MAYBE spend a day at Humpfrey's Basin, down to Evolution and up Darwin Bench, Canyon, over Lamarck Col. and back. So far I have myself and Jack Elliot. Maybe add 5 more to the trip? I would like to keep the miles to around 10'ish a day. Let me know.

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

I've got the 13 to the 31 booked. Looks like a conflict.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm busy in August but have a vacation the first of the month, not sure what I'm gonna do, but have a guys fishing trip mid month in Little Lakes Vly so I only want to go that way once.
    Duane

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

bump

Benjamin Ingalls

@bingalls1987

Locale: Southern California

I rarely plan that ahead of time but yeah that sounds like an awesome trip. I'm a bit of a newbie ultra lighter but I'm geared out fairly well and have been backpacking every weekend this year'

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Ben, you are more than welcome to join. Especially newbies! Keep an eye on the thread till we get closer then things will be discussed

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've been eyeing a trip through this area for a while. I'm interested in coming but will have to see how the dates work out before committing.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Ken,

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but what if we did North Lake all the way around to South Lake for an exit.

Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Ken, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

If you go all the way from North Lake to South Lake, it is completely a trail hike and you don't get much above 12,000 feet. You have to arrange a car shuttle from end to end, but it isn't very many miles, and with multiple hikers it should not be difficult. Quite a few backpackers use this route.

If you go from North Lake, over Lamarck Col, and back to North Lake, obviously there is no car shuttle. Lamarck Col is about 13,000 feet and is somewhat steep and off-trail, so it is a bit more challenging, even if the total distance is less. The view from Lamarck Col is better, but everybody may be so winded that they can't appreciate it.

Either way, it could be a good trip.

–B.G.–

James Block

@jsblock11

Locale: Southern California

Hello Ken, I did the on-trail North Lake to South Lake Loop last year and loved the area. I'd be interested in joining on this route depending on your timeframe, do you have any firm dates yet?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

James, I am out for the count this summer due to health reasons. I am planning on doing this next summer if you're interested. The cross country portion is quite pretty by the way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools