Topic

Porcupine Mountains Itinerary

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Porcupine Mountains Itinerary

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

This is a very relaxed trip with friends that are brand new to backpacking. Total mileage is about 22 miles. Although we will almost definitely be traveling faster than 1 mile per hour, I calculated it at 1 MPH to allow breaks at scenic areas, to sleep in, or to rock hop on the Little Carp River. Here goes:

Day 1:
    Arrive at Big Carp River trailhead at 5 PM. Hike Southwest 4 miles, stopping at campsite #1. Eat a no cook dinner and go to bed.

Day 2:
    Wake up at 8 AM. Make breakfast, break camp, and start hiking by 10 AM. Hike 7 miles West and then South to campsite number 2. Arrive at campsite at around 5, then make campfire, set up tarps, and make dinner before bedtime.

Day 3:
    Similar to day 2, hiking 7 miles East and then Northeast to campsite #3. Make fire, set up tarps, and eat dinner.

Day 4:
    Start hiking at 10 AM, and hike the remaining 4 miles North back to the Big Carp River trailhead.

Here's a map to show what I'm talking about:.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Your friends don't know how lucky they are.

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

I'm almost afraid to comment ;P lol No that's a great route, just did it last April. You should have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. Make sure to stop at Shining Cloud Falls campsite for a break. It's an amazing campsite if not occupied.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

For camp 3 there is an awesome set of campsites that are usually completely unoccupied on the far side of Mirror lake. It's only about a half or quarter mile out of your way but its one of my favorite campsites of all time back in there.

I'm envious….

We're going to try to brave the porkies over July 4 weekend…trying to do a less-traveled itinerary if we can.

Have a blast!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools