Topic

exos 58 vs Arc blast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) exos 58 vs Arc blast

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

more than one pound of weight savings going for the more expensive pack, the Arc blast. Anyone made the switch and care to comment?

Sam.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Arcblast is smaller 40L main pack which is how I believe Osprey rates their pack volumes.

I have almost pulled the trigger a few times on the blat but not quite.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

I'd say compare the Exos 46 to the Arc Blast maybe…capacity to capacity.

I tried the Exos 58 on a 4 hr day hike — returned it to REI the next day. Rubbed my backbone and wasn't comfortable for ME (YMMV) . Shoulder straps also sagged under a moderate (25lb) load.

After having tried most all the popular packs out there, or so it seems, I've decided to go with a custom Arc Blast. I'll be leaving in two weeks for a PCT thru-hike with the Arc Blast (Sierra Bear canister and all). I have about 8.5 lbs base weight and very compact gear. I love the pack and think it will work just fine for what I want. It does cost more – but I'm supporting a US cottage business, getting a handmade top of the line pack with all my personal customizations, to top it off the pack is sized to fit me exactly. Well worth the small increase in price. I only own one backpack now, and the Arc Blast is it.
    Only time will tell if I find the Arc Blast to have worked as I hoped.

Everyone's needs, likes, and bodies are different. But a pound is a pound, and the Arc Blast carries much better than the Exos IMO.

Anton Solovyev
    BPL Member

@antonsolovyev

Locale: Colorado, Utah

I have tried to switch from Exos 58 to Golite Jam 50 and did not like it. Exos 58 is much more comfortable for me. I have tried a few frameless packs and it none felt right. With Osprey I can move most weight to hip belt and almost feel like there's nothing on my back. The back ventilation is also awesome in desert conditions: gone are the days when pack belt would get stinky from trapped sweat.

Ospreys are pretty silly packs in general, with a lot of useless bells and whistles, but they seem to carry quite well.

My Exos 58 w/o the top lid weighs 1060 grams.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

Try them both on to see which fits the best.

I have the Exos 46. Fits me good – i've carried 30 lbs comfortably.
    I'd love a lighter version of my Exos, and the Arc Blast looks somewhat that.

From what i can see on the product page of the Arc Blast, it seems to have a ">" shape in the ventilation area. Looks a little strange.

FWIW, i think the ventilation panel on the Exos is pretty good. It's got a good uniform spacing, and not too big of a gap. And the "trambolin-effect" is what makes it
    fit good, it shapes to the back.

But i would love to try the Arc.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

reason I was comparing these two, rather than the 46, is that in extensive review on this site the real volume of the 58 was noted to be closer to 50, thus a fair comparison to the arc blast
    Sam

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Here are two images of my Arc Blast

– notice the buckles on the top strap and the pad straps
    – smaller torso height than stock (I like an effective 17-18" torso height for most of my packs)
    – custom Zimmerbuilt cuben shoulder pockets
    – NOTICE – side closure buckles (side roll down the top and close together like a dry bag, OR roll and close to sides like the ULA Circuit)Arc Blast front

And looking at the frame side with dual top side pockets (extra) and dual Zimmerbuilt cuben shoulder pockets (extra). Also have the dual hipbelt pockets. Total pack came in around $300 or so.Arc Blast rear

Eli Zabielski
    BPL Member

@ezabielski

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've got the Exos 46 and I find it extremely comfortable, especially around the lower back and hips. Probably the most comfortable pack I've worn. The shoulder straps stretch on purpose, and will seem like they sag on higher loads, but it doesn't bother me and I like how it feels later at 10-20lbs.

I cut off all the excess straps and webbing on mine to save about 2oz.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Seth,

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these as well and really like your mod to be able to close the top like a drybag (the way my SMD Swift and Starlite close) or to clip to the side (like my Murmur).

When you get a chance will you please post photos of both closure methods on your Arc Blast? I'd really appreciate it.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I'm really looking forward to some warm weather coming soon to try my Arc Blast, so small!
    Duane

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I'll take the EXOS 58 for its better back suspsnsion and overall design. IMHO only the belt needs some improvement.

A detatchable top pocket is something I want on a pack so I can use it for a side trip fanny pack.

Piney
    BPL Member

@drewjh-2

My experience with the Exos is limited to loading it up at an REI and carrying it around for a while. Based on that I prefer way my Arc carries. Perhaps the Exos suspension might pull ahead above 25 lbs, but I never carry that much.

P S

@xeren

Locale: Southern California

I went from an REI Flash 65 (which was actually incredibly comfortable) to a Golite Jam 50, which made me realize I didn't like frameless packs, to an Exos 58. Just as comfortable as the Flash 65, while being lighter, and as another person mentioned, the back panel air frame (or whatever it's called) works incredibly well to keep your back cool. And it might seem gimmicky, but I ended up using the trekking pole stow system a lot more than I thought I would/

RockyJ
    BPL Member

@rockyj

A little late…but oh well.

I've owned the Exos 34, Talon 44/33 and the Hornet 32. I just picked up the new arc blast with the horizontal suspension beam and the fully taped seams in the blue color. My first cuben fiber pack.

I always thought my Ospreys were great, comfortable packs, until I tried the Arc Blast.

The arc blast is basically waterproof, the volume can be greatly controlled with the roll top, the netted back panel feels like heaven, the straps are a lot wider and the suspension system feels a TON more stable….even compared to the exos. The suspension system on the exos is in no way, shape or form "better" than the arc blast.

Every part of the pack is easily replaceable if something happens to break, though it feels bombproof.

In my opinion, not even comparable backpacks.
    Sorry about the pictures, not very much light. I'll try to add more tomorrow in my own thread regarding the arc blast.

arc blast
    The Roll top closure is velcro at the top, if you can't tell.
    arc blast

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools