Topic

GoLite Odyssey.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite Odyssey.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Craig Rosler
    BPL Member

@alephzen

Does anyone have experience with this pack? I'm considering this and the Jam2. I'm concerned the Jam2 wouldn't swallow a bear can; and, while larger, the Odyssey (like the Jam2) does have this compacting system, which could keep it appropriate for shorter (3-day) trips.

Currently, I'm stuck between a big pack (Gregory Shasta) and one whose packbag, given my current (low) level of experience, is a bit small even for, say, 3-day trips. The latter is the Osprey Atmos 35. Great suspension but a little heavy in light of the smallish 2100 cu. in. packbag.

I'm thinking that the Odyssey — or, as I better figure out this ultralight thing, the Jam2 — could, for most trips I'm likely to do, substitute for and improve upon the Shasta and the Atmos.

But I know: Experience first, change packs last! :-) I'll follow that course, but thought I'd get folks' input. It will help as I move forward and weigh options.

Many thanks for whatever thoughts you may have.

All the best,

Craig

Anonymous
    Inactive

Craig,

I have a Jam2 and am concerned, as you are, that it will not be big enough for a bear can. If you like the Jam2, why not consider the Pinnacle which is big enough for a bear can but weighs only a few ounces more than the Jam2 and is virtually the same pack?

Craig Rosler
    BPL Member

@alephzen

Somehow I hadn't even noticed the Pinnacle. I'd not seen the name go by anywhere. That's a good point. It's 1/3 again larger than the Jam2, and almost as big as the Quest (another option).

Though, once at that size, I'm reluctant to give up an internal frame. (Which would point one to the Quest or Odyssey.) I may be off base in this concern, of course; it's probably my inexperience speaking. I'm assuming that I won't be able to get down to a 20-25lb. pack weight, on longer trips, for awhile. More than that on the back without a frame sounds uncomfortable.

I guess this is why experience comes first. I'll learn more over the next months as I pare down. Thanks for the pointer, John; that definitely raises a good option.

C

Anonymous
    Inactive

Craig,

You can be “adviced” (sic) to death but eventually you work it out on your own. My first “stayless” pack was a GoLite Trek which is approximately the size of the Pinnacle and, like you, I was apprehensive about carrying 25 lbs. in a plain ‘ol sac strapped to my back without support stays. It is my winter time pack and remains my most comfortable pack. I think you will be surprised at how comfortably you can carry 25 pounds in a frameless pack providing all the other criteria such as fit etc. is met.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

Ive used my golite Jam (slightly smaller than the Jam2) with my Ursack hybrid with no problems. If you are using an old bear can I would recomend the Ursack hybrid. only 20oz, and when used with the aluminum liner, It passes requirements for yosemite.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Ryan, Thanks for reminding me about Ursacks. I had all but forgotten I have an old version 1 of the Ursack and may try to upgrade it although it would be close to the weight of my small BearVault. The last time I tried to hike with it, I was severely chastised by a desk attendant at the Lone Pine Ranger Station for attempting to obtain a permit with only an Ursack and was forced to rent a Garcia as a prerequisite to a permit. Although Ursack’s website indicates that some of their products are SIBIGG approved, it seems that the specific ranger stations apply their own rules. Be prepared in certain ranger locations to obtain alternate food storage.

Craig Rosler
    BPL Member

@alephzen

Those comments suggest that, even I want to go larger, just to be safe, the Pinnacle might indeed be more than sufficient. And still awfully light. I actually have an Ursack (but no liner) just as overkill in keeping the varmints out. The bear can will only be for those times when one absolutely must have it, but I wanted to be sure that any ultralight pack I move to will allow for it.

Bear cans, what a hassle. Though, just to be fashion radical, I may start carrying one about town as a wallet. "Next season, everyone will have one." :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools