Topic

Best 2 night 2.5 day hike in Escalante May 6-8

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Best 2 night 2.5 day hike in Escalante May 6-8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Based on the info from the NatGeo map and the NPS Escalante website, I was leaning toward the Egypt TH/Twentyfive mile wash loop. I have two nights out though, and that seems to be an overnighter.

I have no canyoneering skills, so there's that. But any recommendations? Should I just spend 3 days exploring the Escalante River area from Egypt TH or is there another nearby overnighter I can do in combination with the Eygpt/Twentyfivemile was overnighteer. Harris Wash sounds interesting, and is close.

I'll be coming frm Bryce NP on May 6, and I need to have time to make the 3 hour drive to Zion on May 8 to pick up my permit for my Trans Zion hike on May 9.

And as long as I'm asking, are there any good Forest Servie(i.e. free) places to camp between Bryce and Escalante on Sunday night? I'm hoping to pick up a walk-in permit in Bryce when I arrive, but if not, it'd be nice to have a back-up.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Just west on highway 12 past the turn down to Bryce several dirt FS roads head off north. They're good roads, and after you drive a few miles its easy to find a little track heading off into the pines and a place to camp. Very convenient and pleasent.

There are lots of options for exploring and adding a day to the Egypt/Neon/25 mile loop. Dayhiking up along the bench between Neon and Choprock is pretty cool, as is hiking up the various branches of Choprock. Ringtail Canyon sould of Neon is worth exploring, and the various canyons both south and north of 25 mile are worthwhile, too. I'd hike down to the Escalante from the TH, set a camp, head up and explore Choprock, see Neon and Ringtail the next morning, camp somewhere in 25 mile, and have some time to wander that evening and the next morning before taking a wandering path back to the TH. The macro nav is easy on that route, while the micro stuff can be pretty challenging, so giving yourself time to backtrack and follow your nose is a good idea.

It'd be easy to spend three days exploring Coyote Gulch as well. Can't go wrong with either but IMO the first loop is more diverse.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Dave, thanks, that sounds perfect.

Terry G
    BPL Member

@delvxe

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Been to coyote a couple of times and cannot wait to go back. You could bake a loop out of it by climbing out at some point and going overland, but the canyon is so lovely and easy that you won't want to. Best place to enter in my opinion is Hurricane Wash. There are a few ways to enter the canyon, all very similar terrain, but Hurricane has a few nice spots along the way. It is a 7 mile dry hike to the canyon.

Coyote Gulch generally has plenty of water and lots of camping spots. It is really magical. I won't go on about it, but google a few photos. Note that there are two backcountry toilets. Because it has become a more heavily used area and a somewhat confined space, using those toilets is very important. There is one just past Jacob Hamlin Arch and another about a half mile before crack in the wall (not completely sure about the location of the second one). They are not well advertised, so you want to keep an eye out or ask about them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools