Topic

Meal Planning :: 42 meals packed for Alaska… Help?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Meal Planning :: 42 meals packed for Alaska… Help?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jim Kershaw

@jkersh

Hey Gang,

First I would like to introduce myself, my name is Jim Kershaw and I have been a long time reader of the site. In about 1 month (May 23) I will be headed to Kahiltna Glacier in Alaska for a Mountaineering Course. I am almost all prepared for the course, and have been training for the past 6 months….

However, the most daunting task is still ahead. I have to pack and plan 42 meals and bring them from NC to AK. Since I arrive in Alaska 2 days early, I have the opportunity to hit the grocery store for some last minute moderately perishable items, like cheese and deli meat.

It is suggested that we splurge a bit for the first week before moving deeper into the the range. This is ideal since we only have to go about 3 mi from the airstrip to set up base camp… on week two we will leave the unnecessary goods behind (and trash) at base camp, i would assume the second week will be the main focus of dehydrated foods.

Things to note. I will have snow and ice all around me, so once on the glacier I will be able to keep things cold.

I have begun to develop a meal plan which can be seen here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuX0VDN3OrGIdE5iWHZoRUtnYkJfWVpTakh5a2xxQmc&usp=sharing

Initially i figured it may be a good idea to do a protein heavy flavorful flapjack for breakfast, some tea, and a fruit strip/snacks but Im not sure.

I am totally open to suggestions and looking for any that you folks may have. I have planned for 4 days camping, but never 14…at altitude… in snow.

I have ordered a lot of "Fantastic Food" mixes (beans, tofu scramble, hummus, vegetarian chili, taco mix) as well as condiments from minimus.biz

I welcome all tips tricks and suggestions….. I am overwhelmed here honestly and am worried I may never figure this thing out in time. I don't mind buying Mountain House, but at $7-$9 a pop, I would like to minimize it.

Thanks

Jim

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In many high mountain environments, it becomes impractical to fry stuff (like flapjacks), even though it might be tasty. It sounds bland, but simpler breakfasts like instant oatmeal are often the choice. The oatmeal can be augmented with a hunk of salami. You don't want to be dependent totally on food that requires a lot of preparation and cooking. Also, you don't want to be dependent on anything that will freeze or get otherwise inedible from cold.

This may sound crazy, but after everything else you get packed, add in at least a pound of GORP.

I was doing a climb in Africa, and the group was getting weary of the food that they had brought. Then I offered up a bag of dehydrated pear chips, and it was devoured in an instant.

–B.G.–

Mike Oxford
    BPL Member

@moxford

Locale: Silicon Valley, CA

42 meals = 14 days … sounds like a blast!

I read once that Everest guides say to bring at least 1lb of chocolate. Heh.

Things like GrapeNuts and other cereals can be eaten with heated water/heated powdered milk, as well as the aforementioned oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, etc.

I love hard meats, hard cheeses and crackers/pretzel sticks. Obviously pastas and such work, as does ramen. Get some rice noodles for variety instead of just the wheat noodles. I could see a little powdered "party dip" (I like French Onion) being a huge treat (get something like http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Sour-Cream-Powder/dp/B0009TN7F2 and water, mix it up … )

Powdered mashed potato(e)s. Bonus points for freeze-dried bacon bits and shredded/powdered cheese.

Marinate some beef/chicken/whatever, cook it, shred it, dry it (over or dehydrator) … that could be tasty and high protein.

Powdered soups, like Lipton makes. Toss in some dehydrated/freeze-dried veggies and some of the ramen noodles, or rice noodles… mmm….

Lots of spices, personally. Think of the difference between 'roasted chicken' and 'marinated chicken' and 'blackened chicken' and 'BBQ chicken' and …

In short, shoot for variety.

Of course, I can eat the same Togo's sandwich (local sandwich shop) every single day for months (and have) so YMMV. :-)

-mox

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools