Topic

Experiences with the 2013 Enlightened Equipment pad attachment system?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Experiences with the 2013 Enlightened Equipment pad attachment system?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

While I admire the ingenuity of the various ways to attach a quilt to a pad, as I mentioned, I do not use any of them, and here's why:

They are too complicated.

When sleeping, a complicated bed is the last thing I want. What I do want are super-easy ways to get warmer or cooler when needed. If too warm, uncover portions of sleeping self, if too cool, cover up sleeping self. Do these while unconscious.

A commodious bivvy helps keep the operation together, and also reduces the effect of wind and the dreaded drafts. It's a ground cloth. It's insect protection. It defeats wind-blown spray (I hope!). I made it at home out of that soft, quiet version of Tyvek for a few bucks. No stitches, just seam tape. One piece. Tools: Straight-edge, Tape Measure, Sharpie, Scissors. Easy.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Jim, +1, except I don't use a bivy.

Tim asked me for an honest evaluation of his new strap system, and I told him I think it's a brilliant design, and likely the best in the industry, at least that I've seen. But I too don't use or care for straps. The whole point of a quilt is freedom of movement, straps kind of limit that.

I'm a fairly restless side sleeper, and even in 20'sF the EE quilt kept me nice and toasty with just the collar slightly cinched and the footbox zipped. I've never rolled off my pad even while tossing and turning all night. My 9 year old daughter is now using one of my two EE quilts when we go instead of a bag and she prefers it w/o the straps as well.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I tried the quilt thing and found it be to much of a pain in the ass with all the tying , snapping, and this and that. Yes it's lighter than a traditional down bag, but I feel it's not as efficient at keeping you warm as a traditional bag. I agree with Jim, I want to get in the bag and sleep. If it's to hot, unzip bag and sleep ..easy! The quilts are perfect for Hammock people.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

I have not used the strings that came with my EE quilt yet. Last weekend i used the top/head snap for the first time with great success so I may not ever. it kept it wrapped around my shoulders. not any harder than zipping a zipper.

my MYOG summer quilt has no attachments at all.. though i may add a snap at the top end for an option.

i usually sleep cold so i can adjust temps by what i wear on my torso or head. R value of your sleeping pad comes more into play with quilts than with sleeping bags too.

Jim Milstein
    Spectator

@jimsubzero

Locale: New Uraniborg CO

"R value of your sleeping pad comes more into play with quilts than with sleeping bags too."

Actually, not much. Down compressed by your body weight has little insulating power. That is part of the logic behind quilts — save the down for where it counts. Other parts of that logic are: greater freedom in sleep, greater comfortable temperature range, greater trendiness.

I'm working on the next big thing, but, so far, haven't a clue. I need a nap.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I agree with the whole down compressed by your body deal, but what people fail to mention is that it's a different story if you move around a lot in your sleep, thus the quilt has to be clinched down somehow for cold conditions and it's not as enclosed as well as a sleeping bag, no matter what you use. You will get cold drafts coming in from any open spot on the quilt, which it's susceptible to have. You can un zip a sleeping bag and use it like a blanket in warmer conditions !

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

True Jim. I think quilt users might think about it more carefully though.

i've converted to quilts so you don't have to convince me ;)

Justin, true you have to have it cinched down somehow, but in use it's not really that much different than being in a sleeping bag once you figure out a system that works for you. Like i said for me with the top snap closed around my shoulders the rest of the quilt took care of itself.

I sleep cold so i'm usually wearing long sleeves or even my Nano Puff over that so drafts aren't usually an issue. we were in my GF's Bilgy tent which is similar to a TT Contrail with mesh sides and drafts were fine. my Lightheart Solo is more enclosed.

I find it's more multiuse to add insulation with a long sleeve top or jacket than going to a sleeping bag. wearing a hat is definitely lighter than a sleeping bag hood.

with the bottom zipped and the top snap the RevX is pretty closed up. (not snapped here, use your imagination)
    RevX

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools