Topic

Lightweight Blanket/Insert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Lightweight Blanket/Insert

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jason Johnson
    BPL Member

@etex9799

Here in my part of Texas it doesnt get too cold very often..just chilly at times. I recently bought a Snugpak(gay name I know) jungle bag. Really thin, quality is there. Slept inthe back yard a few nights with my thermometer…with cotton base layer (did I just mention cotton in this forum? sorry. :) but with cotton base and wool beanie i was fine down to 47ish…..I really bought this for 55 and up ..HOWEVER…I really like this bag so much that I would like to DIY an insert of some kind that maybe snaps in for giving me an additional 10-15 degrees for nights when we get down in low 40's high 30's.

Im thinking of using some kind of solid insulation sandwhiched between some silk and add some snaps…OR..maybe someting that doesnt need an inner and outer…just some kind of insulation to keep it simple. Anxious to hear any suggestions…

Thanks!

D S
    BPL Member

@smoke

I know what you said, but what about just using a Sleeping Bag Liner such as those made by Sea to Summit? I think the S2S ones come in 3 different constructions/ratings.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

My only suggestion would be a better adjective to describe the name Snugpak. It is 2012 you know, and we are not all in high school.

Steve

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Yeah, well…. If it was called the 'Fudgepak', then you could call it a gay name. I live in Texas, too… guess your part of Texas isn't Travis County?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"Fudgepak"….Bravo Daniel!

Ryan

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Jason,
    I don't think you meant harm, but a little more tact is in order.

Bill Fornshell employed a similar idea here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4262/

He was (is) on the cutting edge of UL/SUL MYOG. Cool stuff.

Good luck and show us your results!

Todd

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools