Topic

Eddie Bauer Quickpack Daypack 18 Liter Backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Eddie Bauer Quickpack Daypack 18 Liter Backpack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

We stopped by an outlet mall this weekend and I had a look at the local Eddie Bauer outlet store and I found this backpack for sale. It is a bit of a mystery as I can find nothing about it in the Eddie Bauer web site, nor any mention on Google. It is labled as a "Quickpack Daypack" style 0483 and the interior label reads "Season: Spring 13". MSRP is $24.99 and it was on sale for $5 off.

It is very similar to the REI Flash 18, but it has outside water bottle pockets, which is Nirvana for me. Weight is 11 ounces, which is identical to the Flash 18. The outer dimensions are very similar as well. This pack has a single daisy chain down the center and tool loop on the right, a drawstring and toggle top closure, yoke style shoulder straps with light 3D mesh padding, sliding sternum strap with whistle, and a removable 1" webbing waist belt with a side-release buckle. Inside is a 9"x6" zippered mesh pocket, a hydration pocket and there is a removable foam back panel with a Velcro closure. There is a well made exit port for the hydration hose.

It carries like most of the other packs of this size, with bearable comfort up to 10 pounds or so and good enough for day hikes with essentials, water, snacks and a small camera. Construction and materials are good and I see nothing to detract there.

As I said, I'm doing back-flips over the outer water bottle pockets. This is a feature left off many small packs and I think they need it more than a large pack. The ratio of space gained is huge and I much prefer having the wet stuff outside where it can't leak on my insulation layer and electronics. If you prefer a bladder, you get two good additions to the capacity and can keep a windshirt, gloves, beanie or other items there. As you can see in the photos, a one liter Nalgene will make it, but smaller bottles in the 27oz/800ml or smaller size are probably more appropriate. A couple recycled spring water bottles would be a perfect match.

I think this is a bargain , I would recommend it for light day hike and travel use. Hopefully, Eddie Bauer will get it into their main distribution channel.

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

The pack is turned inside out to show the interior details:
    Eddie Bauer Quickpack

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

Eddie Bauer Quickpack

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Nice Find! Was this at the Seattle Premium Outlets, or Factoria, etc?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I found it at the Burlington, WA outlet store. I don't normally go there, but we were taking a break on the way to Bellingham.

It's weird to Google a product from a big retailer and get *nothing*. I don't know if I'm just ahead of the curve or they decided to bail on the design. $20 and water bottle pockets vs $34.50 on a Flash 18 works for me :)

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Nice one Dale, if only I could find it online though. The closest thing on the EB website is this http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=44302. Looks like it must be a bit heavier due to the zips etc.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I would just keep an eye out for them. With the Spring 13 labeling, I wouldn't be surprised.

I have looked the the Rippac model that you have the URL for above. They are a bit smaller (100ci) and are lighter cloth. It is a typical self-stowing travel pack and has no back pad. I would expect it to be a little lighter by a couple ounces, but they don't publish the weight of course. There have been a couple different pack designs with the "Rippac" model name over the years.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Unlike overstock/closeout outlet items like at REI, Eddie Bauer and many other companies make/sell items that are exclusive to their outlet stores. Usually, they are made slightly less quality or from different, cheaper manufacturing places/countries or from excess materials they have. These items might have an equivalent regular store model, but they won't be the same.

Think of it kind of like Honda vs Acura.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

REI sells the Stuff Travel Daypack that is just what you're describing: 22 litres, light (10 oz but lighter if you cut off the unnecessary waistbelt), with 2 outside water bottles pockets. It even has a lid with a compartment. I'm pretty sure it would sell like crazy but they stock it in the luggage department all packaged up and you can't tell what a cool little daypack it is. $30 too. I use it all the time.
    http://www.rei.com/product/809163/rei-stuff-travel-daypack

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The REI travel pack has been known to BPL'ers. The real winner now for me in the REI small pack line is the Flash 22.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools