Topic

Granola/Energy Bars without Chicory Root

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Granola/Energy Bars without Chicory Root

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I love a great granola/energy bar when on the trail as either a quick snack or as part of a meal. Unfortunately, I have recently discovered that I need to avoid anything that contains Chicory root extract (also known as Inulin). This is an ingredient that most companies have started using to add fiber to their products. Without getting into exact details this stuff plays havoc on my digestive track and makes for a pretty unpleasant experience.

So my question is, can anyone recommend a good bar that doesn't have this stuff in it? I grew up eating Cliff bars and like the flavors/texture but they have Chicory and are thus off the menu.

I have found Larabars which don't have chicory but I cant say I'm a huge fan of the flavor/texture. They seemed a little pasty compared to what I'm used to.

I'd even be willing to make my own if anyone can recommend a good recipe. Thanks!

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

ProBars. Organic whole food, very tasty, around 400 calories per 100 gram. The 'whole food' thing makes them not boring, because the ingredients are recognizable and no two bites are exactly the same. If I do a no-cook trip, these things fill my food bag.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Larabar makes the uberbar, which is whole nuts and fruit instead of their usual ground-texture bars.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Thanks for the other options. I'll have to try both of the suggestions above.

I also happened to discover that the Cliff Z-bar (the one made for kids) doesn't have chicory added, so I may have to steal a couple and try them.

Once more, thanks for your help it's so awesome to have a resource like this available.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools