Topic

Brawlin’ on Mt. Everest.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Brawlin’ on Mt. Everest.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

This is going to hit the international news, and most of that news is going to be from the side of the climbers and westerners, with few people listening to what the Nepalese have to say. It is very rare for the Nepalese to behave like that, so there is every reason for the incident to have been provoked. The reporting needs to give the Nepalese equal voice in explaining their side of things. For all we know the European climbers are not telling us everything, or they may have done something to provoke what happened.

Here is a much more balanced view of all that happened.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I couldn't agree with you more Miguel.

The few reports I've read paint a very volatile incident on the mountain. It is very hard for me to picture a vigilante sherpa mob attacking Steck and his team members. At the same time, what reason does Steck and co. have to fabricate in any way the details of their incident?

The whole sherpa guide and foreign climber tourist relationship seems to be growing increasingly tenuous.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Maybe we will see automatic weapons there next.

The only two times that I saw a Sherpa get violent were these. One was when a Nepali porter stole something from a visitor's duffle bag, and they beat him up pretty good. The second was with a renegade yak, and it took three or four Sherpas to subdue it.

–B.G.–

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

NT

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

NT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools