Topic

Hydration bladder hose taste

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hydration bladder hose taste

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joel Benford
    Spectator

@morte66

Locale: Surrey flatlands, England

It seems the previaling opinion on hydration bladders with hoses on BPL is "don't use them". However, please imagine for a moment that you've been gifted a 1.8 litre Platypus and must be seen to use it at least a few times. How do you get the the plasticky taste out of the hose?

Christopher Kuzak

@kc

Drink out of it. After a while it either goes away or you get used to it.

Bogs and Bergs

@islandized

Locale: Newfoundland

Try diluted white vinegar, pushed into the hose and left for a bit before rinsing with clean water.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Are you sure its the hose? In my experience, the taste comes from the bladder itself.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Use, or a load of warm water with baking soda or a little lemon juice in it, will resolve that PDQ. After a water bladder's been used a few times, you won't taste anything from the food-grade plastics involved.

I don't use bladders in my backpack, but have been using Camelbaks since 1990, in many forms, brands and locations. You've got a reliable product design there.

Corbin Camp

@heycorb

Locale: Southeast

I actually prefer a bladder. The first swig is bad but I don't notice it after that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools