Topic

Windscreen foil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Windscreen foil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Anyone know where I might find aluminum foil of a similar gauge as included with the whisperlite or whitebox stoves?

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

You mean like this?

Doug Hile

@dhile

I use embossing foil that I got at a craft store. It is thinner than MSR's foil but thicker than the kitchen foil. It works good for me with an Esbit stove.

Justin Ling

@ling_jd

Locale: columbus ohio

Hi George, I'm not sure how it compares with the windscreens you speak of, but I made one out of the large aluminum tins used for roasting turkeys/grilling meat (at least I think that's what they're for). I picked one up from Kroger for $3 (you could probably get one cheaper at the dollar store). I snipped it out, flattened it, and weighed it in at .5 oz. It's very minimal with sharp edges (although not to a fault) and the sides bent a bit to latch the screen closed. It seems to work perfectly.

The tin is pretty stiff. stiffer than regular pie tins. It's the same stuff I've seen catering companies use for keeping food warm.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Thanks guys. Douglas, exactly like that but in bulk. Doug, sounds like a good idea to look into, but not sure if it's the weight I'm looking for. Justin, I like my baking sheet windscreen, but am looking for something without the embossing that comes on the bottom of the sheets.Any other ideas out there?

Jason Turner

@headchange4u

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I am also looking for the foil sheeting so I can make and try out an UL oven ala Tinny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzmQXEf4g9k

Anyone ever find a source for something similar to what is used in the video above?

Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

I have gotten it before from hobby lobby. It works awesome and comes in a roll of varying lengths.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools