Topic

Another spoon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Another spoon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Ive been looking for a longer handled, sturdy spoon for a while.
    Ti spoons, ridiculously heavy at 0.5 oz
    The Sea-to-summit aluminum one at 0.4 oz seemed to be the best thing out there.
    Then I read a thread on here about a week ago, about bamboo spoons.

So, I went to Whole foods, they didnt have any.
    I went to Party Store, and they had a whole bag. 12 for $3.99. What the heck.

As someone here said on another thread, the spoon has sharp edges, and is really too wide. It was horrible. So I took some sandpaper to it…..

Below pic for comparison with a coughlans spoon, and a bamboo spoon before sanding.
    As purchased bamboo spoon, 0.32 oz.
    After sanding 0.27 oz. It is 7.75" long. Not as long as the 8.5" metal spoons, but long enough.
    Made it narrower, and rounder, and much smoother.
    Sanded it down with 100 grit, them smoothed it out.
    Wet it to raise the grain, then sanded the grain down
    Wet it again to raise grain, resand the grain down
    Finished off with 1000 grit, smooth and slick and polished
    mineral oil and beeswax used to seal it.

Works pretty well at 0.27 oz
    would be better with a hard non toxic finish like tung oil or such though.
    I guess I have 11 more to play with .

.spoon

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

about 30 grams in an ounce, and this is about a third of an ounce, so an 8-10 gram spoon.

Sorry, I just have no appreciate of point anything ounces.

Nice shape.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have no feel for grams, since pack wt is in lbs and oz.

.27 oz is 7.67 g.

my only point is, if you think you might like a bamboo spoon, they are cheap, readily available at chain party stores, and all it takes is 30 min with some sandpaper to greatly improve it

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

i use a bamboo spoon on the trail. its great, so much 'warmer' and pleasant to use than titanium.

and you know, if you want to drop more weight, drill some holes in the handle. :)

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Drop weight and lengthen the handle:
    Cut handle down, leave a little sticking out. sand a tennon that will fit into a carbon fiber arrow shaft. Epoxy into arrow shaft. Cut shaft to lenths. Use a little epoxy to seal the cut end of the shaft.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

If you did all that work to save 0.05 oz, doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

If you did all that work to have a beautiful spoon, nice job! Well worth the effort. You probably could sell those.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

If nothing else, I like the wood look. I too was disappointed in the cost and no weight savings using a ti/ss spoon over my short plastic spoon. All I did was get a longer spoon to be able to dig down into those pouches/fb.
    Duane

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I sanded it not to reduce wt, but because the original is too wide, and the edges are too sharp. Making it narrower and rounded edges improves it a lot.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

For those interested:

The lowest cost I could find on buying the spoons and the wood treatment on Amazon was about $19.

Good news: You'll have ten, and you can repolish your butcher's block and cutting boards.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools