Topic

How to lighten my cook kit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to lighten my cook kit?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Elijah Ziemann

@mrblondyable

With the help of you guys, I ditched the mug and replaced it with a DIY pie tin lid. I got rid of the pot grabber, I decided I could use my sponge to grab the pot, especially if the sponge is wet. I also got rid of the stove case. My windscreen protects the sides of my pot from scratching from the stove, my cutting board protects the bottom, and my sponge goes on top so it can't dent my lid. Put a rubber band around the whole thing, and voila: 8.4 ounces. So I dropped 3.1 ounces without sacrificing much any capabilty. I could drop more weight with an alcohol stove, which I may do in the future for shorter trips.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

Have you tried the sponge as a pot grabber yet? In my experience using bandanas and similar items as pot grabbers, when they are wet they conduct the heat straight to your fingers. Give it a try at home before you have a nasty surprise in the field.

It may be different with a sponge as opposed to fabric items, but just be careful.

-David

Edit:

I still use a bandana or other cloth item as a pot grabber, it's just better if it's not wet, and it requires more caution than using a dedicated pot grabber.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools