Topic

High quality silnylon (again…)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear High quality silnylon (again…)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Hi! I've been thinking about making a double wall mountaineering but I'm having some trouble finding a suitable silnylon for the fly. I want something that's below 50 gr/m2 1.4 oz/yd, high HH and preferably in either red or orange.

So far I've only found tru-hiker and Lightheart Gear but none of them have my prefered color. So before I give up and order from one of them anyway I figured I might aswell ask here and see if anybody knows of another resource. I live in Sweden so a shop on this side of the pond would be best but I have a friend who travels regularly to the US and who can bring stuff back for me.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Try bear paw wilderness designs.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Since you live in Sweden check out extremtextil.de or shelby.fi. Although shelby is usually a better source for advanced clothing material instead of gear fabrics.

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Fabrics/coated:::21_22.html?XTCsid=a97ad7eac72368b3eee0880a8cf4b51a

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Edvin,
    T-H and LHG are about it. Paul's sun yellow has an orangy hue, and while Judy lists only the camo on her site, she might sell you some high HH in grey if you contact her.

Ray Jardine also sells sil, and has claimed that it has a superior HH. You might want to look at rayjardine.com and email them with an inquiry about purchasing sil with a high HH. In the past, they have sold red, and possibly orange also.

Extrem Textil, mentioned by Dustin, has a 55 gm sil that is listed at 3000mm, but it is green:
    http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Ripstop-Nylon-tent-fabric-silicone-PU-coated-55g-sqm-2nds::819.html?XTCsid=a97ad7eac72368b3eee0880a8cf4b51a

The reason I say that is about all there is, is becaue I spent several years searching for better quality silnylon during which Roger Caffin was kind enough to test a number of samples for me. What I found was that if the seller is not able to claim a specific high HH, the material is not that, no matter how well it is promoted, or suggested in these forums. A lot of time was wasted until I came to accept that. None of the many tests of sil kindly posted on this site by Richard Nisley gave me any reason to believe otherwise. Rather, they confirmed my own experience.

No question, the high HH material from Asia is available, but only in large quantities. So MYOGers are subject to what bulk purchasers have bought, and are willing to sell to us in small quantities.

edvin mellergård
    BPL Member

@edvin

Locale: Gothenburg, Sweden

Hi Samuel, I have some of extremtextils sil/PU-coated nylon at home actually, been planning on using it for waterproof stuffsacks for my downbag. Pretty nice and doesn't seem to stretch as much when wet. But pure silicone coated nylon should be stronger.

I also dropped an email to them asking if they were planning on getting any new silnylon in the near future. That's where I normally shop and it would definitely be easiest to order it straight from them.

I also contacted Judy at LHG after you posted about her in an older thread. However, unlike you, I want a bright color so it looks like I'll have to go with the yellow one from T-H unless extremtextil are getting something else in soon.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools