Topic

Inov-8 roclite 295s too narrow and flimsy…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inov-8 roclite 295s too narrow and flimsy…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I was super excited to get my Inov-8 roclite 295s but they just feel too darn narrow and flimsy.

My foot feels like it's going to pop out of the side or slide off the base of the shoe.

Further, the soles seem too flexible and rocks will just end up bending the hell out of my feet.

Anyone else have these problems or is it just me?

Do other people use them with insoles? I hate insoles as they feel like they're sliding around under my foot.

My current shoes are 900g and going down to a 300g pair of shoes sounds nice but I can't do that if they're super flimsy.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I like mine a lot. Don't find them narrow, but then I always get a half size up with inov8. The sole is more flexible than my previous roclite 315's, but it hasn't bothered me thus far. The soles are grippier and will wear out a bit faster. Maybe the 315's would be a better fit for you?

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I was under the impression that these issues have been pretty well documented with inov8.
    you should have sized up a half size.
    Get yourself a pair of minimalist shoes (trail gloves, NB minimus) and train in those and then the 295's will feel like big hiking boots :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

which is why its important to try em on first rather than buy because other people have em, or order from somewhere with free return shipping …

i suggest returning them if they dont fit you and going to try every shoe you can …

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I was super excited to get my Inov-8 roclite 295s but they just feel too darn narrow.

I think they are quite wide by Inov-8 standards, so they may just be too small for you.

Further, the soles seem too flexible and rocks will just end up bending the hell out of my feet.

I haven't found this to be a problem with my 295s or 310s before them. However, I have been using minimal foot wear for quite a few a years now.

Do other people use them with insoles?

yes. I fact I use two, as I sized up a bit to much and then switched to really thin socks.

As Jeff said 315s are a more rugged version of the 295s.

Mark Heiser

@74kilos

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I just got the 310's a couple weeks ago, I got them because I was nervous about going too light on a trail shoe. I also own Merrel trail gloves which I had taken out on day hikes. While I enjoy having better feel on my soles, I disliked feeling everything so well that my soles began to hurt after a few hours, haha.

I was thinking about the width issue just the other day, I find mine to be well-suited for my feet. I ran XC in high school, but haven't paid much attention to shoe companies since. From what I do remember on general fit was that NB was a much wider toe box than adidas and many other companies. To me, this one pair (sized a half up from my normal shoe size) of Inov-8s that I own remind me more of my old NB. Roomy in the toe box, but still tight enough on the heel.

I'm enjoying the feedback I'm getting from the 310's, but they have not yet hurt my feet (and I don't expect they will). I am far from having large feet though, and this coming weekend is the first chance I'll have to get more than 4-5 miles in one shot on them.

The pair weigh 670g.

Edited to add weight of pair and shoe model.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Sounds like you went too light of a shoe too fast. Look at the new trailroc 255s which have an anatomical (ie wide) last and also have a fair amount of support. I have wider feet and haven't had issues with my roclite 315s (and love my flite 195s for daily wear). I sized normal but would probably size up 1/2 or full size if I were to buy them again. They have lots of support and a stiff enough sole to absorb rocky terrain ok.

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

A few weeks ago I wrote about the differences between the redesigned Roclite 295 and the previous model. The 2013 model is more attractive visually, but the last is narrower and there's a new point of potential failure with stitching behind the ball of the foot:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=75711&skip_to_post=647339#647339

To the OP, the previous model Roclite 295 was my first lightweight trail runner used for hiking. I started by using an aftermarket insole, but as my feet strengthened I removed it. During the transition period my feet did feel more fatigued later in the day, but during the evenings I no longer looked to swap them out for camp shoes.

I've since moved to the Roclite 312GTX for winter use – I understand it too is being redesigned for 2013 :-( – and the Trailroc 245 for three season use. The 312GTX is slightly narrower than the old 295, but increasing by 1/2 size was plenty. In contrast, the 2013 295 is still too narrow 1/2 size up, and no longer fit me at 1 size up.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Stuart, that's good to know that it's been redesigned. Thanks on behalf of all the people who were considering the shoe based on the prior model!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools