Topic

Question about movable line-locs on tarp tie outs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Question about movable line-locs on tarp tie outs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

I'm making a 5×8 tarp right now with a good amount of tie outs for pitching flexibility. I want to use line locs, but don't want to put one on every single tie out because that would be weighty and wasteful. What would be a good way to be able to arrange 4-8 line locs right where I need them for a particular pitch?

I was thinking maybe sew a small loop of grosgrain on the line loc and girth hitch it to whichever tie out I needed to use. I also thought about using the line loc buckles and put the female end on every tie out, but that would be pricey and heavy… Any ideas?

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Yama Mountain Gear's method is pretty neat:

http://www.yamamountaingear.com/resources/tieouts

You could leave a loop tied on at every point and just switch out linelocs as necessary.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

@ Daniel

Your first idea should work fine. I've used the line locs sold from Zpacks that have grosgrain loops attached to them to replace guyline tensioners on a couple of different shelters. I did it just as you described, by girth hitching the new line locs to the tie out points on the tarp. See below.

Daniel Saunders
    Spectator

@boulderman

Locale: Front Range

Thanks for the ideas y'all! Looks like I'll be able to make that work.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

You can also attach gross grain loops now and then attach any buckle or lineloc you want later using this technique.

here

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

If you're open to using a Micro LineLoc you can cut a miniscule amount of weight too. I also think that these perform better (less slip and can use thinner lines that weight slightly less).

Micro-Loc

Since this is an "inline" style but accomplishes the same thing you could have just a locked loop at one end to attach to a tie-out point (push the loop through, thread your line through the loop and pull tight).

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

+1 on the micro line locks.

I use them with 1.25mm Z-Line and they work really well and they are considerably lighter but the savings a only a few grams (0.76g vs 1.28g for the Line Loc 3). The real saving is in the lighter cord. You can get them made of glow-in-the-dark plastic. The only thing I have found using such light cord is that you need to attach them to the line using a loop rather than just the jammed knot as shown in the preceding image.

It is easy to attach them using a girth hitch (make the loop attaching the line lock big enough to pass it back though) and save on the weight of the grosgrain as well.

David Miles
    Spectator

@davidmiles

Locale: Eastern Sierra

+1 on the loop idea from John. Another option is to use a knot I developed for our rescue stretcher. It is a mod of the bowstring knot. It offers 2:1 pulley action to tighten the line, and will adjust down to almost zero length. It's cheap, lightweight and no plastic part to break. It's also smaller for rolling up inside the tarp. I have some instructions and test data on my website.

http://www.milesgear.com/

Chris Schmidt
    BPL Member

@christo60

Locale: Berkshires

Instead of line-locs, I tie a bowline on one end of my guyline or ridgeline and loop that through the tarp tie out. I then use a six inch section of the same line material to make a Prusik knot that goes on the guyline. I leave the guylines on the tarp in a storm pitch configuration (just in case) but it is easy to move the lines just by pulling them through the bowline loop. When stored, the Prusik knots get pushed up against the bowline so they don't inadvertantly come off.

The Prusik knots begin with a loop formed with a double sheet bend so they never come untied. It is a simple matter then to sink a stake, slip the Prusik over the stake and pull the line taut. Easy and light.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

A Lineloc on a Prussik knotted loop (of Triptease) tied to a Triptease stake line or guyline sounds most excellent.

THANK YOU!

(I knew there was a reason I got a lifetime membership here.)

Daniel Sandström
    Spectator

@sandstrom-dj

Could you attach a picture of this configuration. Sound good, but I have a hard time visualizing it as I just ate lunch and am kind of slow.
    Thanks!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Chris, I do the same thing, except the bowline is the stake loop and I larkshead the Prussik to the guyout. Then I can adjust from underneath the tarp.

Mike Young
    BPL Member

@klackamas

Locale: [email protected]

I could use the visual aids for sure.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools