Topic

Stiff reinforcing for hood brim

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Stiff reinforcing for hood brim

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

Hi all,

I recently saw for sale on a fabrics/MYOG site stiff reinforcing that could be used for hood brims/peaks. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere now. Anyone know where it is stocked/what I could use?

Thanks

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Fabric shops sell stiffening.
    Thin whipper snipper (brush cutter?) cord also works well.

Cheers

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

I like the whipper snipper idea, thanks

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You want it to be a brim that sticks out a bit – flat rather than just a cord

I use this stuff you iron on, then remove the paper backing, then put a second piece of fabric and do the same, then iron the two pieces together. They sell different thicknesses – you want the heaviest one.

But that's not real stiff so there's probably something better

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

cut out action of a plastic milk jug. Free, and someone on this site did it a long time ago to make a brim on his Driducks

The plastic ks great for other similar uses too

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

I like the milk jug idea, if it will have a brim like a baseball cap. If you'd prefer that the brim has a hoop (for packability or something), I've read that Delrin (acetal) rod is the best. It is stiffer than nylon (like the whipper snipper line), but not brittle like fiberglass rod. I don't know a source for small diameter Delrin rod, though.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Whipper snipper cord is usually a co-polymer. Much tougher and more flexible than nylon and Delrin.

Cheers
    Edit: weed eater, string trimmer, whatever. As Steven said.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Just a guess, but I think Roger is referring to a "Weed-eater" or "weed-wacker", a trimmer with that blue plastic thick "line."

Foo Bar
    BPL Member

@schassey

Locale: Bay Area

I've had success making hat brims out of cuttings from those 1 lb yogurt containers- they are just about the right curvature near the top of the container for a brim.

They've worked very well for the cycling caps that I've made, which are just slightly bigger than what I would use for a jacket hood.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools