Topic

FYI – Another Titanium Source, any others?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear FYI – Another Titanium Source, any others?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

In addition to thru-hiker

and McMaster-Carr

I found an Ebay store Shapiro Supply that's a good Ti source for a wide variety shapes and sizes that aren't readily available elsewhere. Of particular interest may be their large diameter, thin wall tubing (e.g. for use in an ultralight wood stove). They have various grades of the stuff, so you might want to check on McMaster-Carr for the properties of each.

Are there any other good sources out there that include materials not covered by these three, or that offer them for less? I've also heard of an elusive, once made Ti MSR bottle. Does such a thing as a Ti bottle exist?

Also, I've read the theoretical "how to" on welding Ti, but does anyone have actual experience with the stuff? I'm thinking about getting a welder(for this and other projects), but it sounds like this stuff is a real beast to work with.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Try Titanium Joe. He is one of the larger distributors of titanium around, and will do small orders. Some other 'small' suppliers seem to use his catalogue on their web site!

Welding: tricky. Can be done with TIG, but practice is needed. You *can* spot weld thin titanium, but you need to get it very hot and 'flow' it a fair bit. Look up 'super plastic flow' for technical info.
    Yes, a bit of a beast to machine and join.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools