Topic

dehydrators

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

Hi all,

So other than the fairly expensive excalibur dehydrators does anyone know of a brand/model that has a timer as well as temp control? I find it a bit hard to believe that I have to spend $250 to get a timer in this day in age :-)

Thanks,

Tom Watkins
    BPL Member

@watkins

I was just looking and thought the exact same thing, the obvious work around would be a mains plug timer.

Also can't believe all units don't just build this in

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

we have paper thin handheld devices that connect to space, coffee machines that grind and make coffee with a thousand settings, glasses that overlay data on your eye, and on and on and on. How difficult can a timer be?

just sayin'

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Yeah, I was going to go the timer route. Just wanted to make sure I'm not passing up some cheap obscure brand that may already include one :-)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I've been using one dehydrator for about thirty years now, and I have never felt the need for a timer. The standard amount of time for one dehydration session is overnight. If I had a really full load of wet food, then it might require more than 24 hours. Timers are kind of unusual if they handle that much time.

A temperature control is a thermostat. Normally, I just want to crank mine up to the maximum practical temperature, and I don't dry any fragile stuff.

Some dehydrators have an internal temperature sensitive fuse, so if you block off too much of the air flow, the temperature goes up and the fuse opens and must be replaced.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Built in timer? Not necessarily something you need. The humidity where you live plays in on how long food will take to dry, as well as what you are drying. So…humid with thick cut veggies? Way longer than what a manual might suggest. And so on….

Better to go by actually opening the dehydrator up and checking periodically.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Tom Keefe
    BPL Member

@keth0601

I also thought the Excaliber dehydrators were terribly overpriced. I ended up getting an LEM 10-tray dehydrator on Amazon for about $160.

dehydrator

They appear to be out of stock now though, and last I looked they were up to $185. Still might be worth keeping an eye on.

Jani Kikuts
    Spectator

@enginerd

Locale: Southern California

I was looking at the Excalibur but ended up going for the Sedona at Costco. Still almost $300 bones but we have had a ton of fun with it, if the budget allows I would recommend it, nice having the see through door, and ability to run half of it at once if not fully loaded. Costco deal includes some nice extras compared to other vendors. Found here: http://www.costco.com/Tribest-Sedona%C2%AE-Food-Dehydrator.product.100018007.html

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I can't believe what Cabela's asks for even a "cheap" dehydrator. Mine is 20 years old and cost maybe $25. at the time. SHEESH! 100X inflation in 20 years?

From now on I'll treat my ancient dehydrator with TLC.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools