Topic

Thoughts on Gossamer Gear Kumo – Don’t like it :-(

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thoughts on Gossamer Gear Kumo – Don’t like it :-(

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

So I've used my GG Kumo for about 4x now … and I think it has some fatal flaws.

The side webbing should really be more of a compression strap instead of shock cord. I hate my pack bouncing around while I'm hiking. Further. I could tighten the load so my pack isn't as unwieldy.

The tip pocket doesn't have any excess space when under load. That means all your shit in the tip pocket gets compressed and squished and you can't get anything out of the pack easily.

The front mesh pocket is nice. It's nice that it is elastic and has plenty of room. I like being able to see where my stuff is…

I just can't get over these two fatal flaws. I think I'm going to go for a z pack since it's cuben fiber and lighter and should resolve these flaws for me.

Thoughts?

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

Hmm that stinks. I like GG packs. Im not sure what you're used to or like, but I can see what you are talking about.

I actually like the shock cord compression systen on my gorilla. I have the older model so I dont have the top pocket you are refering to.

It always sucks to get a new piece of gear and not have it be what you want. hopefully your new pack better suits you.

You could also check out terra nova. They make some cool light "full featured" packs.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I have the REI Flash 45 and it was a great pack. It had space in the top compartment for gear , had straps on the side, etc.

REI makes great packs!

They're just a bit bulky and no cuben options.

I thought I would like the side straps.

My closet already looks like a gear graveyard so it's ok :-P

I just need to start selling some of my gear as it is piling up!

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Check out the Terra nova Quasar(backcountry.com)- they make it in different sizes. It is the lightest Full featured pack Ive seen(compressions straps, removable lid, ect). I watched a youtube review and it actually reminded me of the REI packs. I think the hip belts are better on rei packs. I dont use a hip belt so no biggie for me there. I wouldn't use a hip belt unless I some how got over 20 lbs.

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

If the compression cords are too springy then why not just substitute in some less elastic cord?

The top pocket may be a poor design, but it's pretty obvious it's not real useful just from looking at it. The vast majority of packs don't even have top pocket like that so I'm not sure why it's a big deal. Hardly a "fatal" flaw, IMO.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Yes it is a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad pack. You should be ashamed of yourself for buying it.

But since you are stuck with it I will buy it from you for $15 and you can buy a couple beers and forget how bad you messed up:)

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Here is the Terra nova Quasar- Two different sizes and a you tube video going over the features. Not a cheap pack by any means but I dont start considereing price as a major factor till it gets around 500. Thats when I start really wondering if its worth it.

http://www.backcountry.com/terra-nova-quasar-30-backpack

http://www.backcountry.com/terra-nova-quasar-55-backpack

YouTube video

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

I took mine on its first trip a few weeks ago. I used it for 3 full days. My first "frameless" pack despite that I bought and am using the Air Beam instead of the Sitlite pad. I also sewed on hip belt pockets for those easy access shit items that you speak of.

The side shock cord system is minimal and doesn't seem to "compress" much of anything. I'll probably end up removing the cord from the sides.

What I'm impressed with is that the pack volume expands really well and I think that can be credited to the material used on the top of the water bottle pockets, the top external pocket and where the frame inserts against your back. I really wish GG would have used that same material across the top of the internal pocket because it's just too loose.

The shoulder straps on the pack are a little too wide for my taste so I'm considering modifying this as well.

Having said that, the space seems perfect for my 3-season backpacking needs and the Air Beam adds a new level of comfort. I'm able to alter the straps under load where I can mess around with the distribution of the weight while hiking.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Just reading through this post…

"The side shock cord system is minimal and doesn't seem to "compress" much of anything. I'll probably end up removing the cord from the sides."

Yes, I agree. With a fairly rigid frame structure, compression is almost worthless on that pack family (Murmur & Kumo.) I use a NightLite pad fanfolded into a 5 layer pad about 2" thick, Mike said the AirBeam was about the same thickness. For the compression, I ended up trying some line, then simply dropping it. The 4-1/2" depth isn't enough to worry about. Pulling the top flap down and cinching it down does well enough.

The shoulder strap width is user dependent, I guess. I like them at the width they are and would prefer them a 1/2" wider, as was on the older packs. But they are fine as they sit.

I pack with low volume stuff, mostly. That means the least *starting* weight for my average outing. An average outing is around 10-11 days. I usually cary about 1.2pounds of food per day, but I know that is a bit high. (I am older and get buy with about 2700C per day. I plan on loosing a few pounds every trip, More food simply comes back with me, it is not like I go hungry.) So, a 17-23pound final weight is fine for up to a max of 14 days out. It all fits in the small pack. More and I would need to resupply or bring another pack.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools