Topic

Spoon heresy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    doug thomas
    BPL Member

@sparky52804

Locale: Eastern Iowa

On the trail the slide is hard to clean unless you have a brush of some sort, otherwise it's not bad

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Did you know Kupilka made silverware? Neither did until I stopped at the outdoor store to check out their spoon selection. For $10 I got the whole set. The large spoon weighs 17 grams and feels more like a regular spoon in the hand than any other I've tried. It's not collapsible, but I've taken to carrying my spoon in my hip pocket anyway, so that's not really an issue. Below are a couple photos.

compare1

compare2

compare3

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Spelt — Nice set of spoons.

My set below. Not happy with the long handle, can't fit enough in the bowl. The short handle is better scoop, but the handle is well, short. The green one is the odd ball, but pretty useless. It came with a bunch (group) of kiwi fruit.spoonification

Steve Bennett

@packrat

I have settled on a large spoon/fork combo from Light My Fire.

It was the larges spoon I could comfortably fit in my mouth. The large size makes it easy slurp soups and lets me shovel food into my mouth before it gets cold on Winter trips. The wide handle also makes it easier to hold when your hands are shaking from hunger or cold.

I cut the fork end off as I never use it and it kept trying to poke my gear.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a Lexan spoon exactly like the dark blue spoon on the left in Dale W's photo except it has a long handle.

Lexan doean't get hot, it is nearly imposible to break and some have a nice long handle. The spoon resides in my right side pocket next to my stove bag. (Yes, I attatch side pockets to all my backpacks.)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

That knife is the Victorinox Little Vickie. It is the 3.5" Victorinox paring knife with a sheath added. The total weight is 1oz. REI sells them: http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/836226/victorinox-little-vickie-utility-knife

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Robert Van Putten asked, "Dale, I don’t know how a feller could manage with a short and possibly even folding eating utensils. How the devil do you dig out and spread peanut butter from a jar in freezing weather with such a flimsy, short tool?"

The folding Ti spoon isn't particularly flimsy and my goal was to have something that would fit in a 450ml mug along with a windscreen and Esbit wing stove. I don't carry jars of peanut butter, so shoveling oatmeal, pasta and soup are the most rigorous tasks I demand of it. It is far stronger than the Light My Fire plastic spoon shown and would hold its own with or better the Lexan one, but I haven't done a spoon destruction test :)

For tough and universal use, I would go with a simple stamped stainless steel spoon of tablespoon size. A 60 second search in the spoon bin at Goodwill would come up with a handful at $0.29 each.

Steve Clark
    BPL Member

@petuni

Locale: Quispamsis

My favorite spoon is the ti long handle spoon. It fits in my kitchen ditty bag but does stick up higher than my stove. I'm going to look into the Msr folding spoon, it looks promising!

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

My favorite is the middle sized Sea to Summit AlphaLight spoon. The bowl is a normal shape, the right size for me, a little smaller than a table spoon, not the squared off bowls on the long and short ones from that maker. I prefer buying anodized aluminum over Ti.

6 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches, .3 oz, 9.6 grams, about $7

Robb Watts
    BPL Member

@rwatts

Locale: Western PA

My current favorite spoon is a white, long handled lexan spoon (REI?). Reaches into the bottom of freeze dried meal bags. Kind of a pain to pack, it kind of has to ride alone and seems to always get separated from the rest of the cooking gear – can take a while to find. Misplaced it on a fall trip in 2011 – found it last summer about 100 feet from the camp site where it was lost.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Right now I am using the short-handled titanium spoon. I don't eat out of bags so don't need the long handle. I don't mind that the bowl is smallish. I like the flattened end to the spoon. It cleans out my pot a lot better. It fits inside my titanium pot or inside my plastic cup or plastic screw-top jar. I have a plastic folding spoon, too, but have not tried it yet.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

I'm with Robert V. P….I use the same lexan spoon he does, and am completely content. I like the deep bowl on it, and it has some good capacity for scooping. It's an odd size for measuring though, being 2/3 of a Tablespoon.

I carefully shave the "sprue" line off my lexan ware, or use sandpaper, until its nice and smooth. That line between the top and bottom molds can be sharp.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I have a long handled S2S ti spoon. When I was using a canister stove, I stored it in my FBC cozy. When I went to a system where everything fits in my pot, I filed it down to fit inside (shaved 0.2oz off the weight). It's not long handled anymore and sometimes I get food on my knuckles when I stir but I do like knowing it's inside my kit.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

If you do freezer bag cooking, kneading works to mix things up.

tear the bottom corner off ziplock and squeeze the food into your mouth works pretty good.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Someone needs to make this in a long handled version. I want one of these:

http://www.rei.com/product/781529/rei-campware-long-spoon

With a fork on the other end! Is that so much to ask for? The cashier at REI thought it was a good idea too! ;^)

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

I use an MSR titanium spoon. Long handle hits the bottom of the PB jar just fine, and can't get lost under the surface when cooking in or eating from my Titan kettle. Light enough, easy to clean, not poke-y. It's my go-to utensil at home and outside.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Weigh one of those spoons from your drawer before you toss that idea. You might be pleasantly surprised. I did recently and found it 0.1 oz lighter than my MSR Ti spoon with weight-reduction holes and the pokey tool end.

Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

This thread is hilarious, so I must take part!

The lexan soup spoon that I use as my sole eating utensil (beside my hands!) weighs 11 grams

A stainless steel tablespoon from my kitchen set weighs in at 53 grams.

That's a difference of 1.5 ounces that I don't need to carry, so I don't. With that said, I have used random kitchen spoons before on backpacking trips and I somehow survived.

Those thin cafeteria soup spoons would probably be a lot lighter than your standard kitchen set, so if you really want a lightweight metal spoon but don't want spend the money on a titanium one, you could always… um… acquire one of those cafeteria style spoons from a local food establishment.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools