Topic

Need help with Repairing Wind Shell

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help with Repairing Wind Shell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Devin Karch

@darwin13

Locale: NYC

So I have the Montbell Dynamo Wind pants shell and i love them, super light and do the well. A few days ago, I discovered two litte holes in the fabic down below the knee about halfway down the shin.

How do I repair these? Can I sew them and if so with what kind of thread?

I am pretty much OCD with my gear so even knowing these holes exist is killing me. Please help!

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

You can just use sil tape and maybe some seam sealer.

how big are the holes? you might just be able to use seam sealer.

Do you sew? Casue it would not really matter what kind of thread especailly for what is being presented as a very small hole.

I would go with the sil tape or any other tape for that matter. But i have use sil tape to repair all kinds of things from melted down jackets to splitting tent seams.

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Yeah, ditto. If you think they are small enough to sew and close the hole in a way that is also cosmetically acceptable to you, then do that with a few stitches, and seal it on the inside with some mcnett seam grip. This will be waterproof, but it should also bind everything together and prevent further enlargement of the hole.

If the holes are larger you can do the full monte and use a patch with this same technique.

I think you can safely use standard polyester thread.

Devin Karch

@darwin13

Locale: NYC

Where can you get Sil tape? and is it as easy as just applying it to the fabric? The holes are pretty tiny smaller than a penny significantly.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Patch with silnylon and sealant. Sewing patch in place as well might be advised.

Cheers

Martin M. Clark
    BPL Member

@martin_m_clark

Locale: Southeast US

I had the same problem with my golite whim wind pants from '07 and I sewed up a small hole using some pretty standard nylon thread I picked up at a craft store. I'm not the best seamstress either. Hope this helps

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

here is what I use and carry every trip. Works great. I use seam sealer also to make sure the edges stay down.

http://www.rei.com/product/783045/gear-aid-tenacious-tape-repair-tape

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools