Topic

Big Agnes Fly Creek 2: Condensation dripping into tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes Fly Creek 2: Condensation dripping into tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

Although I am very happy with my TT Rainbow I have bought a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 as a lightweight double wall tent for an upcoming bike trip. Last weekend I have tested it for the first time and encountered the following problem:

The upper end of the door is directly above the head area of the tent whereas the inner tent is naturally even shorter. In the morning I had heavy condensation on the inside of the fly but the inner tent kept me dry – which is the whole purpose of a double wall tent. But when I opened the mesh door of the inner tent AND the fly door condesation was dripping down directly onto the head area from the fly because it is not covered by the inner tent anymore as soon as you open the mesh door.

Is there any way to avoid this problem? Maybe by opening the mesh door only partly so that the condesation drips onto the mesh? But that would make getting in and out of the tent very difficult. Any other suggestions?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

With my Fly Creek 1 and any of my other double wall shelters, I grab a supported area and give the shelter a good shake before opening any doors. This will force the water off the outside and underside of the fly before I open the doors (this is particularly important to do before opening the outside door of the Fly Creek series).

The only problem I have had is that sometimes when the under-fly is really damp in the Fly Creek, the fly will stick to the mesh. It hasn't ever dripped on me yet but I could imagine it could be a problem.

Todd Ler

@toddler

Locale: PNW

Besides what Mike posted above, I'd try to minimize condensation first.

The zipper on the fly door is double ended. Open up the top of the fly door, making your own vent. If it's not raining, I usually leave the fly door open.

German Tourist
    BPL Member

@germantourist

Locale: in my tent

@Mike: Sometimes the solution is so obvious you don't see it….. Shaking the tent before opening any door should do the trick. Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools