Topic

Bear Stories, Anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Bear Stories, Anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

One theme to appear in an upcoming issue of the print magazine, and online, is that of bears in the backcountry.

Part of this will be a presentation of personal bear stories from our community at BPL.

If you have one, we'd love to publish it. If we use your story, you'll get a $25 gift certificate to BPL.com.

Please submit your story – 500 words maximum – with a 50 word max biography – to [email protected] – and include a hi-res JPG self-portrait for your bio.

If you have a particularly outrageous bear story that needs to exceed the 500 word limit for the purpose of poetic license, go for it.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: MAY 15, 2007

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

It was a dark and stormy night…

Sounds like great fun. How mandatory are the Self Portraits? I'm kinda camara shy. :-/

1 week, huh?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

You could photograph your face behind a bear mask, that would be pretty cool.

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

:-)>

Jonathan Duckett
    BPL Member

@thunderhead

Locale: Great Smoky Mountains

A bear hung around our campsite in GSMNP last weekend with two cubs. Didn't get a shot of the cubs though.Momma Bear in GSMNP

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Sadly my best bear encounters did not occur in the back country. ;-) So I'll bore you!
    The first bear I saw at Rainier came flying out of the Ipsut Creek Campground privy. And nearly ran into my truck. That was hilarious.
    The second best was I had a friend who was deathly afraid of seeing a bear. As we were driving in the Olympic Mountains, I saw a black blob on the side of the road. I hit the brakes so hard she nearly went into the windshield. We had the windows down and we were maybe 3-4 ft from a bear. She was screaming, and I had the window lock activated. Oh, that was hilarious. Especially since the bear was sitting on it's butt scratching it's stomach. Cured her though.

Ok, Maybe I'll write about my backcountry bear experiences ;-)

Mike Barney

@eaglemb

Locale: AZ, the Great Southwest!

Whoops, sorry about that.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Will leave the outcome up the reader's imagination…

Grin-N-Bear-It

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US
    Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

I love that video. Shared it with some friends when I first saw it. Hilarious!!!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

And this one time…at band camp…

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

It's the early 60's and my wife's family is vacationing in Yellowstone. They're driving along taking in the sights and encounter a slow down … "What's out there?" … "Bears"

Well, mom has a bag of chips on her lap. While everyone is craning their necks trying to see the bears, one ambled up from behind their car, stuck it's head thru the open window and "Yogies" the bag of chips. `

I'd give my eye teeth to have seen that one first hand.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

When my mom was a child, the whole family went to Yellowstone…back in the dark ages when they had the garbage pits. The cars were stopped and the kids were running around outside.
    My mom came back to the car carrying a bear cub she found wandering around. It was squealing. She asked her dad if she could take it home.

Needless to say, my grandfather tossed the bear and threw everyone into the wagon ;-) And didn't stick around.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools