Topic

Removing back pad from ULA Circuit.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Removing back pad from ULA Circuit.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Leo Herbaugh

@laherb

I'll be leaving in a couple of weeks for my attempt thru hike on the PCT. My base weight without a pack is 10lbs. I've been trying out a MLD Exodus FS, which seems to ride more on my shoulders than I'd like, so I'm thinking I might go with my ULA Circuit which I used in 2010 on my AT thru hike. It fit and rode perfectly. I've been testing the packs with about 26lbs in them. My sleeping pad will be a Neo air small and a GG 3/16" pad. I'm trying to cut down the weight of the Circuit as much as possible and was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with taking out the Circuit's back pad and just using your sleeping pad inside the pack for some support and comfort to help with the suspension hoop. I'll probably give it a try sometime this week and see how it feels. Have any of you guys tried this, and did it work fine for you?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I can tell you the padding in my medium circuit is 2 layers, one denser than the other, and together weigh 1.92 oz.

The hoop stay is on the outer edges and is not a problem.

The al stay needs the padding between it and your spine.

Ive played with all the different configurations.
    I leave the al stay and padding in. It is worth the weight.
    It makes packing the pack quicker and simpler, and is more comfortable. It holds the shape of your back regardless of how you pack it with the Al stay.
    Worth the 4oz IMO.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools