Topic

Tarp Camping Without poles/sticks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp Camping Without poles/sticks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

I've been thinking lately about how many people still take a tarp and don't bring any kind of poles/sticks to help set it up. With the new shelters that have been coming out (hexamid, gatewood) there doesn't seem to be any downside (weight, ease of setting up) to just carry one pole for these shelters.

Does anyone one still hike with out their shelter poles and if so have you had any bad situation that you wish you would have brought at least one?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I did a tarp without pole for a while. But, it's difficult enough finding a nice flat spot without also having to have it oriented properly to a tree or rock. Especially in alpine areas which I like.

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

I don't carry anything. I have never had a problem using a tree or a stick. I use a flat tarp with a half pyramid generally.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I usually carry only one hiking staff. A homemade, 3.8oz one. Most of the time, I can use a longer stick (55-60"), but I can always use the staff(43") if I cannot find one.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Frank,

I have quit using trekking poles. For my Hexamid I bought the zPacks carbon fiber poles. But I find it bends too much is the wind. Replaced it with a carbon fiber pole from Josh over at R.L. Much better, but it is almost the same weight as a LT4. Not many tree branches in the desert.

Recently I bought a Trailstar for those really windy conditions. But a light carbon fiber pole is not going to be able to handle the tension, and two poles are needed in most pitches, plus adjustable from around 38" to 48" will be highly desirable. A real conundrum for me!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have never carried a pole. I've always pitched off a tree. Above the treeline, you can improvise off big boulders. All you need is one high object to tie off too.

William S.

@balt

Locale: East Coast

About a hundred years ago I took a month-long NOLS course in the Wind Rivers. All of us used tarps, and nobody carried trekking poles or walking sticks (or any other kind of poles). Worked out fine above tree-line… at least that's how I remember it.

That said, I've slept in a conventional free-standing tent for all my camping since then.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I'm in the eastern forests. It takes a couple of minutes to locate sticks, but there is always downed trees within a hundred yards with 1.5 inch thick branches. Bring a sharp knife to cut notches around the branch until you can break it off. A swiss army knife with a saw is easier, but heavier. Only worth it if you are making fires every day imo.

Marc Lefebvre

@expeditionmarc

Just ,came back from tarp camping did a video you can see what I did cheers

YouTube video

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

Great video production – and the dog. Not exactly an LNT approach, but I know there are advocates and opponents when it comes to LNT camping. I for one would keep the fire pit but camp around the sapling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools