Topic

W Coast Trail vs. W Coast Trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning W Coast Trail vs. W Coast Trail?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Looks like I'll be in Victoria July 2014. I understand that the WCT is 47 miles long. Is it reasonable to try and hike it in two days or should I allow for three?

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

+1 on Juan de Fuca if you are taking kids. Depends how old and skill levels I guess but I would only take experienced teens on the WCT. I've done the JDF trail as a day trail run. It's very lovely without any of the permitting hassles and much more suitable for a family trip.

Ferry costs and water taxi/ shuttle cost and logistics for the both the WCT and NCT are about equal. So I would not characterize these as hidden costs. There is no permitting fee or hassle for the NCT but the drive is longer, not sure if I would describe it as tedious to a first time visitor…but I would take the drive over the red tape and crowds anytime.

Cape Scott is lovely either way.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

"Looks like I'll be in Victoria July 2014. I understand that the WCT is 47 miles long. Is it reasonable to try and hike it in two days or should I allow for three?"

I would plan for 3, you may find your average hourly mileage reduced due to pebble, gravel, rock, and sand beaches as well as ladders and likely very wet, slippery structures.

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

running trip but nonetheless a useful comparison of terrain.

http://trailadventurer.blogspot.com/2008/05/north-coast-trail-run-may-10-2008.html

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools