Topic

August trip anywhere in the West

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning August trip anywhere in the West

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Locale: Catalinas, Saguaro, Grand Canyon

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend, her brother and I are looking to do a trip in August. I live in Arizona and almost all of my cooler months are consumed by time in the Grand Canyon. As you can guess the Grand Canyon is miserable in the summer so I don't want to take them there.

I know this is a super broad question but here are some of my must-haves for the trip:

One week of field time (maybe more)
    Cooler weather
    Not Yellowstone (guiding there all of June)
    Doesn't have to be a National Park
    On trail travel preferred
    Mountains

Those are just a few. What are you favorite or week long dream trips for August out west?

I'm still super super early in the the planning period and just wanted to see if folks had some suggestions of great trips out here.

Thanks in advance!!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

About how many miles/day do you want to plan? When you mention a week of field time I am just trying to get a sense of how many miles you would need to occupy that. Are you interested in any zero days within that week for fishing/relaxing etc..? There are a number of 40 mile loops within southern Colorado that depending on those answers may give you close to a week of time. My favorites are a 40 mile loop around Rio Grande Pyramid and a 40 mile semi-loop in the ElkPark-Chicago Basin area that could be extended a bit if you wanted end up down by Purgatory instead of the Needleton train stop.

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Hey Randy! Thanks for those suggestions. I will definitely check them out. Plus Colorado isn't that far from me (relatively speaking). I guess the mileage depends on the elevation change. I would probably be looking at anything between 6-10 miles a day. If it's moderate elevation change 10 would be what we were probably looking for. Want to have a decent amount of time to just sit and relax, maybe swim, and enjoy where we are. This isn't really meant to be a high mileage trip.

Thanks again Randy. I'm going to research those ares now.

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Also do you know which trail head is the entry and which one is the exit? Are there any resources you would rec recommend when planning this trip?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

The Rio Grande Pyramid loop starts at the ThirtyMile trailhead near the Rio Grande Reservoir. Here is a good trip report to give some more basic information http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/non-bibe-trip-reports/rio-grande-pyramid-backpack-aug-7-12/

The Chicago Basin Semi Loop starts at the Elk Park Trailhead which can be accessed via Molas Pass off of US Hwy 550. Google "Elk park chicago basin backpack" and you will find some good links.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

+1 San Juans

I'd look into the weminuche wilderness and possibly the colorado trail in the area. All areas will be quite cool all summer long due to elevations about 10,000 ft. good luck!

Slaton Whatley

@alpinistooutdoors

Thanks guys, this is great information. I've spent a decent amount of time ice climbing in Ouray but have never been to the San Juans in summer. This may be the ticket!

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Farther than Colorado but the Wind Rivers are always considered a world class backpacking destination. Has scenery similar to Patagonia's Torres Del Paine but without the trans global flight.

I've not done the hike myself, but it's on my list for this summer if I can find the gas money ;)

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

One of my favorite trips so far was in Mineral King/sawtooth peak. We only did 3 days, but there are bigger loops available for weeklong trips.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools