Topic

How would you set up 2 5’x8′ tarps?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How would you set up 2 5’x8′ tarps?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

I have one 5×8, and may soon acquire (really cheap) another 5×8. Both are ID Siltarps. Both would be used together for a one-person shelter.

Assume the two tarps would not be sewn together.

Options, or whether it's evern worth it (i.e., an 8×10 is far better than two 8x5s).

Thanks,
    Simon

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Not exactly what you are looking for but the picture at the very bottom of this article shows to ID Sil Ponchos pitched together:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/poncho_tarp_techniques_gear_inclement_conditions.html

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Whoops, Members-only article… Can you describe the setup?
    BTW, I ordered BPL "Lightweight Backpacking and Camping," is the setup described in there?

Thanks,
    Simon

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Actually the book has a better picture of the setup on pg 293. Two poncho tarps are snapped together with the windward side pitched very low but not to the ground. Pretty cool stuff.

Greyson Howard

@greyhound

Locale: Sierra Nevada

You can affectivly turn two 8x5s into a 8×10 by joining them length-wise and using that as the ridgeline for a A-frame style pitch.
    Keeping that ridgeline from leaking, however, would take a little creativity.

Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Hi All,
    Thanks for the insight. I looked at the pitch of the two poncho tarps (p. 293?) and have some ideas. I'm thinking of overlapping the two tarps along the 8' sides by 1' or so, as there are 5 loops along the 5' sides, and adding additional guys to the ground from the 1' overhang. Might be noisy, though…
    Regards,
    Simon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools