Topic

Sleeping bags for scouts.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts Sleeping bags for scouts.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Tim Lamere
    BPL Member

@nighthauk

Hey guys I was curious about a ul 20* sleeping bag for scouts. I have been here longer enough to know that most would recommend the Kelty down cosmic for this task but when I just looked for it, it looks like it is being revamped for discontinued because I can't find it at the same 109.00 price and color. Any other suggestions?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I have a 55" height bag for sale. A true 25* 5" loft bag that's 20 ounces, 14 of that is down.
    I am no longer going to make my kids sleeping bags a there is zero interest in them.
    Selling it for $200 but there is $200 just in material alone.

Tim Lamere
    BPL Member

@nighthauk

I appreciate the offer but I am looking for something to recommend to my new webelos scouts coming in that don't have a sleeping bag yet.

John L Collins
    BPL Member

@wvcubdad

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail

I have several US Army patrol sleeping bags that will stuff down into a green OR stuff sack (not sure what size) I got them on eBay for about $25 each. Both my kids use them and the label claims good to 20 degrees but I was slipping my poncho liner inside at 30 in a hammock. Decent bags, lighter than many and cheap = good Scout bag. YMMV

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

A patrol bag at 20? Hell no. More like 50 or 40 with clothes.
    But it makes a super cheap and decent summer bag.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

This is probably out of the price range at regular price but I was just in Eddie Bauer and saw their First Ascent Igniter 20* bag. It's Climashild Apex with a Pertex shell, weighs 2 lbs 6 oz (according to the website), and sells for $179 normally. Today they were doing $35 off purchases over $150 and an additional 10% off every purchase which would have brought the price down to $130 before tax.

First Ascent stuff usually goes on sale a couple of times a year. If the kids are looking for a high quality bag I'd tell them to watch EB for sales. I'm not sure about the sleeping bags but the jackets are usually 40% off. That bag would be a steal at 40% off.

Adam

Tony Ronco
    BPL Member

@tr-browsing

FWIW,
    For smaller scouts, a North Face Tigger 20 degree (synthetic) works well (my kids' bags weighted a hair under 32 oz without the stuff sack.

For a down version of that there is the North Face Youth Aleutian 20 Degree. (listed weight is heaver than the Tigger)

For larger kids there is the synthetic Eureka Silver City 30 Degree (38 – 40 oz)

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

When I worked at Cabelas we sold a lot of Slumberjack bags to Scouts. They've got a "backpacking" line and while they're not the lightest they are pretty inexpensive. Their ratings are optimistic IMO but I had a Target special bag when I was in Scouts and survived. We also sold quite a few of the TNF Aleutian that Tony mentioned.

Adam

Aubrey W. Bogard
    BPL Member

@bogardaw

Locale: TX

It appears that the latest version of the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 has a MAP of $139.95, and the typical discounters (e.g., Campmor) don't show them in stock yet. It will still be tough to beat for the price.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Consider advising the Webelos II's incoming that they might enjoy the versatility of having two bags: a "car/summer camping bag" and their backpacking bag.

The car bag can be larger, goes to camp and gets brutalized and doesn't need to be as warmly insulated, so they're easy to find at the big-box discount joints. Label it with a Sharpie and they're set.

Then, they can wait and plot for the Cosmic Down 20 to go on sale. :)

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

What I'm telling our new scouts, for backpacking in Idaho (dry conditions, lows to the mid to low 20s, seldom get sustained rain) what to get is a 25 or 30 degree down bag, adult size. Here is why:

They all want to use internal frame packs. A youth internal frame pack doesn't have much room, and there is no way a slumberjack synthetic bag fits in it. So the bag has to be packable into a smallish internal frame.

30 degrees down is the lightest sleeping bag that packs into such a small space, and is adequate in warmth.

They may be youths now, but in 3 years they are going to be adult size or close to it. Might as well get one bag that will serve them into their adult life.

What I am going to do is buy 2 or 3 such down bags, and then sell than at cost to new scouts. I think it will save the parents money in the long run, but not having to upgrade later.

For colder weather, for one thing youths have quite a bit better internal heater than I do. They can add clothing to their 25 degree bag, to add a bit of temperature range to it. Most of our winter trips are car camping, or using a gear sled on the snow, so they can bring two bags, or extra clothes.

James Walton
    BPL Member

@backcountryasm

Locale: south

I am an asm from the Southeast. My boys backpack with me and are GEAR conscious! Even with them having a higher degree of care with their gear they are still rough. The boys in our troop are especially not good with their gear even when they are in their midteens. IMHO a down bag is must too much responsibility at this age. Especially for new incoming WEB II scouts. I would recommend the Silver City from Eureka. It weighs 2lbs. 4oz. And Packs down to a pretty small size for a synthetic bag. The older versions which I have where filled with Primaloft and at $100 these were bargain performers. They are now filled with a proprietary fill material. See this link for details:

http://store.eurekatent.com/silver-city-30

Tim Lamere
    BPL Member

@nighthauk

I apologies that I haven't responded earlier I haven't had much of a chance getting back here. James Thanks I may lean that way. I know one of the kids would be able to use a down bag. He is just one of those kids that takes care of his things. I don't think the rest of them would. With that said though I will still be looking for a 20* bad seeing how I live in the north east and we camp all year round. At this point it is easier to vent then to add more on that is why I am looking for a lower bag first. again thanks for the replies.

John in OH
    BPL Member

@seyerle

Sierra Trading Post has this Marmot Sorcerer 20 degree bag for 62.95. With a 35% off/99 cent shipping Deal Flyer Coupon (sign up and this one comes up once a week or so), you can get them for under $45. They are listed at 2 pounds 9 ounces.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/marmot-jr-20-f-sorcerer-jr-sleeping-bag-synthetic-mummy-for-kids~p~4034w/?filterString=sleeping-bags~d~208%2F&colorFamily=01

Or Sport Chalet is offering the Kelty 20 degree Cosmic Down for $89.95.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/300270_3082448.do?kwid=kelty+cosmic+20+degree+down&gclid=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportchalet.com%2Fproduct%2F300270_3082448.do

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

I can often get a down sleeping bag at the REI garage sale. It might be a bit dirty, or have a rip in it somewhere. Down lasts forever, so washing a filthy bag restores it. Rips can be patched with special tape. These bags are often $60 or less, but its hard to get a men's size 30 degree bag. More often they are 15 or 20 degrees, and there are a lot of women's sizes. Its a great place to shop if you get lucky.

Bob

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

Our Troop is pretty consciencious with their gear in general – mostly – and my son despite being young is really careful. And sure as god made green apples the first backpacking trip we took was in rough conditions – snow/sleet and cold temps. Wet. My son comes to be and says he has a damp spot on his sleeping bag. He'd carefully setup his tent – wiped down a few drops inside – then pulled his bag out of his pack (it was in a garbage bag) and set it up inside the dry tent. Couldn't figure out what had happened. But then I asked where his rain jacket was when he climbed into his tent to get out of the weather to read … oh yeah he just dropped it in the tent and it was on the bag…

Thankfully it was an Alps Mountaineering synthetic bag – and not a lot of water so he stayed warm that night. Still … you're talking about 11-16/17 year olds and stuff happens – I'd think long and hard about using down with Scouts particularly Webelos and young scouts. The Alps bag isn't the smallest or lightest (3 lbs 5 oz) but it is well made and less than $50 from Scout Direct. And it has kept him warm on 19 degree nights.

If you want to spend more the North Face Cats Meow is very popular in our Troop.

Kevin Sweere
    BPL Member

@sweerek

You can't beat a 5F, 3.5 lbs, mummy bag for $24.

Great beginner bag — if boys take to backpacking, then go down.

Everest Mummy Sleeping Bag, +5F/-15C Degree:
    Mummy-style sleeping bag covers head and shoulders for added protection and warmth
    Double-layer construction is one of the warmest designs; avoids "cold spots" where the fabric is sewn through
    3.5 pounds of Micro Tekk Z1 fill
    Polyester outer, polyester liner
    Everest mummy sleeping bag comes with a compression stuff sack
    Dimensions: 84" x 33" x 24

Sure, its not really 5F, but getting to 30F is fine.

We buy these as B-day gifts for boys & girls alike.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools