Topic

BPL Meetups in Michigan, Candadian Shield, and ADK

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning BPL Meetups in Michigan, Candadian Shield, and ADK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :-)

I really enjoyed the 6 trips in the last year where I met up with other folk from BPL, and I am looking to expand on that by organising trips in Michigan, the Canadian Shield and the Adirondacks and futher afield once a month or so.

I received a lot of Pm's from folks over the past year saying that the further out a trip was advertised it was easier for them to get time off work and get a pass from their significant other.

if anyone had interest in attending any of these trips please reply here with location and prefered month and then I could put a separate thread up for that specific trip and we could work out dates.

Cheers,

Stephen

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Would likely be up for a trip in MI; early Sept. Suggesting the Pigeon River Country, NE of Gaylord. You will see and hear bugling elk. Lots of trail options (Shingle Mill, High Country, Green Timbers Trails) trout streams, ponds and lakes. Some three sided trail shelters.

Dean

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Dean,

Thanks for posting, I have never been to that area, I will look those up in my trail book.

Cheers,

Stephen

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Locale: The Great Lake State

That is a very nice area, especially in the fall. I've been there many times.

I'd also probably be up for something in Michigan, just about any time is good for me.

I might be able to do an Ontario trip sometime.

Also planning on doing the Jordan River Pathway again pretty soon. Probably the first part of May, sometime.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Nathan,

That's great, I am off to Scotland for the first two weeks of May but up for trips after that.

Cheers,

Stephen

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

The Pigeon River area is a huge expanse, not wilderness, but quite wild. There are established pathways and opportunities to bushwhack. Either way, because of a number of miles-long impassable marshes, interspersed with private property you will cross and do some walking on gravel roads and two tracks. Because of those swamps a good map(s)is a must.

Great brook trout fishing on the south branch of the Black River. Sturgeon, Pigeon and main Black Rivers offer solid brown trout and steelhead fishing. Because of the massive size of this tract you will not be walking between all of these rivers in a weekend.

Lots of bear, elk, deer, turkey, bald eagles, etc. I've seen mink and otter. Oh, and ticks – come prepared. I've seen numerous elk, had them snorting like a freight train just outside my tent at 2am – you will hear plenty of bugling in September.

Hikes can be easy (on paths) or an all out adventure if you want to take on the marshes.

If there are meetings in Aug, Sept, early Oct I will definitely be interested in most locations in Mich and Canadien Shield. I currently have plans for 5 days in Pukaskwa with a group second week in Sept but am open to other trips.

I was considering a solo to my all time favorite midwest hike, La Cloche Silhouette / Killarney (just-kill-me), in Aug or late Sept/early Oct. That's 6 days of hard walking at my age, younger folk might do it in 4, but this is one area you want to stop and smell the roses. My wife would probably like it if I had company but what the heck.

Anyway I am interested in short or long hikes from August on. Please consider my resume':) No commando but I'm capable of 15 – 20 mile days on moderate terrain, though I may not get there as quickly. I don't need my hand held. I don't mind a nip of good tequila or bourbon at the end of a long day and just now trying out hammocking – tarp came yesterday, awaiting delivery of Warbonnet BB.

Paul

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Paul,

15-20 miles on moderate terrain suits me fine.

My wife rathers I backpack with other people also :-)

I don't mind mind a nip of something strong in the evening myself, I used to carry beer in the past ;-)

Cheers,

Stephen

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

@Paul — some portion of the high country pathway?

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

Sure.

I would be interested in August, some of September and into October. I can't make it before then but if others are looking to go sooner, by all means plan a trip and hopefully we can do another when I am available.

Anyone wants to toss out some dates to get things going?. Then we could work on location.

What are your locations? I would be in for a meet and greet / trip planning over a burger and beer. I'm in GR (er sort of but that's another story) and would drive a couple hours if there's any interest some time.

Paul

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Folks,

I am back from Scotland, I am free most weekends from here until August.

Pawel Carter

@juggernaught

North Manitou Island

Just tossing this out. Timing of ferry would probably necessitate a 3 day weekend. July 26 – 28.

If warm, this would be more like a mosey down a tropical beach but we could throw in a visit to the "potholes" for some serious dune climbing leg burns.

Pawel

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Pawel,

Thats a possibility for me.

I have never been there so not familar with the area, where does the ferry from?

Cheers,

Sephen

Pawel Carter

@juggernaught

Manitou Island Transit:
    http://manitoutransit.com/rates-schedule/

Leaves from Leland MI about 1/2 hour NW of TC
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=45.023889,-85.76189&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=19

Would arrive on N. Manitou ~ 11am Friday and catch the ferry back at 11am Sunday (don't be late), arriving Leland ~ noon. Weather can have a bearing on exact times.

N. Manitou is larger and less popular than S. Manitou. If I recall they have strict campfire rules – not an issue to me but might be for others.

Open to other locations too.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Pawel,

I would no mind hiking somehwere Windy to keep the bugs at bay :-)

Pawel Carter

@juggernaught

Stephen,

Truthfully, the bugs have been at times reported to be hellacious on the islands, though I've always had decent luck. Westerly breezes will help but the dunes are 200' tall at western waters edge. 10 seconds down to your water source, 10 minutes up. Quite spectacular though.

You don't want to get caught out on the upper dunes in a thunderstorm either – they get hit a lot. On the other hand, both storms and clear weather can make for an awesome trip.

If that weekend ends up working for others, I'm open to any location – no agenda pushing here. Peace and goodwill.

@ Paul – except you. You are a real a$$ and a known anarchist.

@ Tim – is that poison ivy in your avatar?

@ Dean and Nathan – interest?

PC

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Pawel,

Lets see what other folks come back with and make a decision then.

Cheers,

Stephen

Pawel Carter

@juggernaught

Agreed!

Peace,

PC

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

That's a plan so, often when we organise Bpl meets we don't finalise a firm location until a few weeks before.

Dean L
    Spectator

@aldoleopold

Locale: Great Lakes

Pawel

Manitou sounds great but, cant make it at that time. I'm open to some other trips and particularly to early Sept.

Dean

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Gents,

Anyone else have any recommendations.

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Sorry about not replying sooner. North Manitou sounds interesting , I've never been there before. I could probably do July 26-28. August is booked full for me, but most of July and Sept/Oct is open.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Nathan,

I can do that weekend but would rather stick to the mainland as can only do Friday afternoon to Sunday night.

Maybe somewhere like Manistee River Trail?

Nathan V
    BPL Member

@junk

Sure, the Manistee River Trail would be fine with me also. I usually go there at least once a year anyway.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

I have only been once so would definitely go back again.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

An MRT weekend I can do anytime. FS sites have fire pits and a great view.

The Island is nice, but with the boat ride, you might as well stay for a few days.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools