Topic

Meco Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Meco Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Been hoping rab would make a meco hoody for some time, and here it is. Along with some other stuff. Kind of wish they could do a 120 version, but maybe the 165 could cut it for summer too.

http://www.OUTDOORSmagic.com/gear-features/rabs-new-autumn-2013-kit/10858.html

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

That is great news. Rab's Meco fabric is fabulous. To me, this is the first hoody that I will consider to supplement or ultimately replace my beloved BPL Merino hoody. I wear Meco shirts regularly, both when hiking and for normal wear and they are super comfy, breathable, super-fast drying, and virtually impossible to stink up. This hoody is sure to become a hit piece of gear in the lightweight backpacking community.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Um…what's a MECO hoody? And why are you posting of new things that I'm going to want to buy, even before I know what they are let alone that I'm going to need one??

Damn you BPL!!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

This is great news. I love my MeCo shirts, the 165 is my baselayer for all my cold weather trips. I've also long wished they made a hoody version. And I agree about the 120, wish they'd make that in hoody as well.

Time to sell the Beartooth hoody, I'd much prefer the MeCo.

A W

@lost_01

out of curiosity, where do you guys pick up most of your RAB products (in the US)? Finding limited options online – looking @ the meco 120 long sleeve

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

Jennifer, Meco is a nice merino/synthetic blend with cocona blended in (faster drying times). Its a nice compromise between the strengths of merino and synthetic without most of the weaknesses. I like a hoody with thumbloops because I can leave behind gloves a hat and it helps with sun protection when I'm wearing a visor…
    …and no, you totally don't need one! But should you ever go looking for an uber-technical base layer, its a good one.

And I made the mistake of putting that blog on my rss feed, so now I'm automatically made aware of future highly desirable unnecessary gear to buy.

Prolite gear has Rab Meco: https://www.prolitegear.com/rab-meco-120-ls-tee.html

Prolite is a small outfit out of bozeman, MT. They have a really nice selection of specialized gear and they have a good presence on this site as well. Check them out.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

The first place I generally check is Prolite Gear. If they don't have it, I generally check Jackson Sports in the U.K. They ship to the U.S., and their prices are competitive with most any place in the U.S. (including the shipping).

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

While they don't have MeCo, I check Campsaver.com for rab gear. They often have good sales (as in one going on now).

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Here is our Rab MeCo Baselayers Review from January 2012 (on BPL, of course).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Good call with Jacksons Doug, it turns out I can buy something from them and get it delivered to the US cheaper than if I go in to their shop in Belfast? Bloody 20% VAT.

Peter Fokkinga
    Spectator

@nitto

Locale: the Netherlands

Another shop in the UK worth considering is ultralightoutdoorgear, although you have to email them to get a quote on shipping to the US. My experience with them is that they ship fast with very reasonable rates to the rest of Europe and respond quickly to inquiries.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

AFAIK, you don't need to email ultralightoutdoorgear for a shipping quote. Just put the item in your shopping basket, choose USA as your country and click update. The VAT will be removed and the shipping cost added.

Peter Fokkinga
    Spectator

@nitto

Locale: the Netherlands

You're right of course, should have had another cup of coffee before I wrote that :) You only need to mail them if you are not in Europe and want faster shipping.

It's actually one of my pet peeves, webshops that don't list international shipping rates or only show them after submitting all your personal details.

As to Rab baselayer, how slim/athletic does it fit?

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Peter,
    In my experience the Rab Meco fits fairly athletic, with fairly long sleeves but not very trim in the torso. Better than many but not top of the heap. I/O Merino from Australia has spandex and is a lot trimmer fitting. (They ship fast and free around the world).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools