Topic

Adventure racing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Adventure racing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Over the last few weeks I’ve been finding more and more ultralightweight gear that doesn’t seem to have mentions on this site. What I’ve been changing in my google searches is to search for Adventure racing rather than ultralight hiking etc..

The main inspiration for this was from the MLD site. As I’ve said in other threads these guys from team MLD make me want to get better at what I do.

Most of the adventure racers out there tend to give up comfort and really live it on the edge, because to them it means winning or coming second. That being said I think we could all find some of their inovations to UL gear quite possible to use in our own field of enjoying the backcountry.

I’m just going to list a few sites that I have come accross and if anyone else has any sites with gadgets and UL gear on them just post them up.

These have some of the lightest free standing tents I’ve ever seen, and to make things better their prices seem quite reasonable.

I also think these are going to get some really great gear for us ULers. Some of their tents seem too good to be true. Also I have mentioned before the bivy sack on here. PJ would love it. A rain anorac that can be pulled down over the feet to make a bivy shelter. Multi function and at only 8oz.

This site just here has a fleece top for under 4oz. With a smartwool top or any other baselayer and a windshirt, this fleece could get you down to the 40’s or lower. And then on top of that another inovation that I had not thought of was to extend the length of the sleeves to be pulled over the hands instead of gloves. Now thats smart thinking. Also check out the hat that is breathable but can be used as a carrier for water, and has pockets for wet sponges or GPS etc..

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Jacob I have read some not so favorable reviews on the Puppy Pile Tent. If I remember correctly it had to do with condensation in the tent. Then again it is a single wall tent. Saying that, I still am curious as to whether or not this tent would work for me and my wife (she does not like critters crawling on her, so tarp camping is out)the weight is attractive though. Good post!

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

After reading the review I might stick to what I have already. I have been thinking about the Montbell Mono pole tent thing. Hmmmmmm…… Thanks for the heads up on the reiview, I forgot where I saw it.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

>>The main inspiration for this was from the MLD site. As I’ve said in other threads these guys from team MLD make me want to get better at what I do. << Jacob you should note that “Team MLD” is a myth and does not actually exist. While MLD’s gear maybe suitable for Adventure Racing, the “Team MLD” was more of a parody. Ron

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

Even though team MLD is a myth it still gives budding adventure racers something to aim for. I’m sure theres many other adventure racers out there that would goto the extremes that are mentioned. Some people just get plain crazy when it comes to winning. Thanks for the heads up Ron.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Mr. Moak,

You…You…mean…they’re not real???!!! ;)

Have you ever told Ron Bell that they’re not real?!!

I thought I had read that Vegas had a “line” on Team MLD, favoring them to win the upcoming Polar-to-Polar Raid au Naturale. Was I mistaken? …or, was it the Barefoot Transglobal Under 80-day Adventure Race? (great shades of Phileas Fogg!! Now, please don’t tell me Phileas Fogg wasn’t real?!!! I thought I had read somewhere that Mr. Fogg was the creator of the Adventure Epic. oh well…i could be mistaken on this point. Maybe it was some guy named Verne? I just can’t seem to recall – my “old-timers” is actin’ up round ’bout now.).

I’ve always thought that Team MLD might not be the best spokespeople for gear. After all, they don’t carry much gear with them do they? Especially, that Noah character!! Unless one’s next shelter is going to be made out of dry leaves. Now, that would be easy to “patch” in the field come next Autumn. And, oh yes…, would it be made out of single-wall WPB leaves with a DWR finish to save weight over a dbl-wall of leaves? And for bag fill, personally, i prefer standard 150 fill White Oak – nice large leaves having rounded lobes, so no points to poke you in the sides – but not much loft – especially when wet.

p.s.
    I’ve just got to ask, has anyone out there ever tried to fire a Kalashnikov with the front grip removed? Mikhail must have put it in his design for a reason. Is it a choice between steady aim or toasted fingers?

p.p.s.
    For any unfamiliar with “Team MLD” here’s a link:
    Team MLD

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

I confess that I honestly found everything about Team MLD plausible – except for the 5.3oz berillium skis. That one should have tipped me off. Am I gullible, or just a romantic-always eager to believe in the outrageous; and better yet, the impossible? Hoax or not; low to no food ultra distance events and sleeping baglesstrips with the # of minutes of sleep possible with bivy sack and w/o are directly relevant to my goals and very similar to field tests that I have recently conducted. I have significantly altered my strategy regarding an upcoming trip in response to ideas from Jacob and Team MLD. They are helping my 1/2 century old frame keep up with the youngsters. Just please don’t tell me that Jacob is also the ficticious product of an overactive imagination. After losing Team MLD, I NEED to believe in Jacob.

signed, Mourning in Monterey

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

there were a number of points that were true.

just one example, using leaves for bedding – you learn this in military survival & SEER training. this is one thing prob. everyone who reads the BPL Forums know.

it’s things like this that make it an excellent piece of believable writing from Mr. Bell.

is there a Pulitzer waitin’ for Mr. Bell?

i think Jacob “The Ironman” Thompson is the REAL DEAL”. i’ll root for him too.

jacob thompson
    Spectator

@nihilist37

No need to worry Alan I’m not the figment of an imagination (or am I?). I had always thought that there was a team MLD but that the figures in some places and stories etc. were just over exagerating themselves. However, despite the fact that they don’t seem to exist there are people in Adv. Racing that goto these extremes. All the gear weights are easily obtainable and all the methods they mention are possible. The limiting factor is ones drive to push physical and mental boundaries. Even if I were the only one I would still enjoy short duration trips with little food, bare minimum warmth, staying awake etc. I havn’t even begun to really try and find my limits yet.

I did find another site here that seems to have a few bits and pieces that can help get the weights down. (I see the North Face propel bag there on sale, has anyone had experience with this bag?)

Alan, you and I can keep doing these experiments. At the moment I’m trying to find out how much clothing I need to wear to be comfortable sleeping under a mylar bag at about 45 for a few hours. Keep it up and let me know how your testing goes.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Jacob,

Glad to hear you’re still “of this world”. Last spring I got in 2 hours of sleep at Donner summit in 10 degree weather (until I was rudely awakened by a CalTrans snow blower) wearing the MontBell U.L.down inner jacket and pants (15.2oz combined), light 3.5oz down hood and 14oz RAB Quantum Top Bag. The next night I drove down the west slope of the Sierra Nevada till I hit the 40 degree level and put in another 2 hours with the suit and hood on a foam pad without the sleeping bag. If I added my new 3.5oz Sierra Designs down socks and 6.5oz BMW vapor bivy I would basically have a wearable sleeping bag-which is really a handy tool to have and is surprisingly warm for it’s weight.
    The lighter we get, the more we can see in a day! Plus the rush of blasting through our perceived bounderies. I’m planning a local 24 hour hike/run to test my speed, fatigue , caloric needs etc. as a baseline for my 5 day trip. I’m still a ways off from being in good enough shape yet.

Cheers—Al

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

I have one. I’ve only had it out on one trip so far. The rating felt accurate to me. I like that it’s long enough (standard size has lots of length for my 5’10” self). I have room to wear a puffy top inside, but some men find they feel constricted with just a base layer on (my shoulder girth is about 44″).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools