Topic

need pit zips installed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear need pit zips installed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Locale: white mountains

Hello,
    I recently purchased a Rab kinetic jacket made from Pertex Shield+ 2.5L fabric and I would like to add pit zips to it. Does anyone know who I can contact to help with this mod?

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Victor,

Not sure from your post if you want "help" or someone to do it for you.

If you want to do it yourself then check out what Kathleen did years ago…She did a great job and made it look easy:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27921

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Looks easy. But I'm willing to pay someone to mod my jacket

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Not cheap, but http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com specializes in modifications to outdoor gear.

victor larivee
    BPL Member

@vlarivee

Wow looking at the price list it sounds like it might be more cost effective to just buy a new jacket with pit zips. Thanks for the info

David Scheidt

@dscheidt

Doing things right at the design stage is always easier than doing them afterwards. Buying a jacket with pit zips and selling (or returning, if you haven't worn it) the one you've got would probably be the easiest, and might be cheapest.

I've seen some of the repair work Penny (Specialty Outdoors) has done. I have no doubt that a pit zip she added would look like it was supposed to be there. Doing it the way that's mentioned in the other thread will work just fine on coated fabric, and is not that hard. Probably would be a good idea to practice, if you're not an experienced sewer. You might also get a dry cleaner to do it. They're unlikely to have a waterproof zip or seal seal tape, though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools