Topic

Continental Divide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Smith

@dksmithfamly

Locale: South Texas

BPL friends,

I'm plannig a trip to the Continental Divide this summer. We're looking to hike from Wolf Creek Pass to Stony Pass (near Silverton). I've read that there are places where the CDT is tough to follow, so I'm considering taking USGS quads in addition to amap for the whole area. I'm wondering if the dark line marked Continental Divide on the quad maps is denoting the Continental Divide OR the Continental Divide Trail. Follow up – If the USGS quads are actually showing the Continental Divide, what is the best map (or series of maps) for following the CDT through the Weminuches.

Thanks for any help.

Dave Smith

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

The darkline marked on the map is the Continential Divide. The maps mostly predate the Continentail Divide Trail(s) by decades. The Continential Divide Trail Society and the Continental Divide Trail Alliance have separate routes.

The Colorado Trail has a recent reroute called the Cataract Ridge in the area. The CT would not be marked on any quad.

Consider that the description for CO Segment 17 does not agree with the trail description.

Be careful. That area is one of the few places in the lower 48 that it is possible to be more than 10 miles from a road.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

CDT hikers frequently use Jonathon Ley's maps. You are not able to purchase them in a store but go to his website and you can get a CD with the info on it and print your own maps. http://www.phlumf.com/cdt/cdtmaps.htm
    (sorry I don't know how to hyperlink anything). His maps have been helpful for many hikers.
    NITRO

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools