Topic

Using Espresso Pods for pack-it-out backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Using Espresso Pods for pack-it-out backpacking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Barth Tillotson

@barth

Crack open two of these and dump the vacuum-sealed "freshly ground" beans into 12-16 oz of boiled water and wait 4 minutes. Use a fine-screen french-press (i.e. jetboil) or filter thru a bandana.

Much better than java juice, but about 2x the weight + hassle of clean-up and grounds disposal.

I like this approach if traveling in bear country because there is no (human) detectable smell until you open the foil pouch.

You end up with foil pouches and (unless burned) little filter-paper circles to pack out.

For long trips your better off with Java-Juice or an instant coffee, but you can throw a few of these in for "special cups"

Eric Fitz

@pounce

Instead of the pods take a look at a product called T-Sac. Thi is basically fill your own tea bags for loose tea. The advantage here is that you can get large ones. I used to use these at work with coffee. Basically it helps if you get the side 3 T-Sac's and fill with enough coffee for a cup. Put the bag in the cup you are going to use. Don't tie of close the end. Pour the hot water into the T-Sac slowly to get the grounds wet and loose in the bag until the cup is filled with water. Let sit a while. It helps to use the finest ground you can make. You can cheat a little for extra kick and throw a little instant espresso in the bag.

These work really well for coffee if you must have real beans and don't want to go so far as a french press or a cone filter on top of cup plastic thingy.

Thom Kendall

@kendalltf

Locale: IL

This is rather late but I also enjoy coffee. Like what was reported above the bags work very poorly so I investigated coffee making techniques. "Cowboy" coffee is one alternative but can produce quite a bit of acid and is only useful for larger groups. I found Turkish coffee and the coffee maker called an ibrik which is very small. You can do a search for Turkish coffee and find articles. I am planning on trying this the next time out. Thanks for all the research.

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

In my experience no matter what coffee maker you use if the coffee has been ground for a couple of days it'll never be that good. I been playing with putting it in Aloksacks I have bought on this site. They seem to help but the zip lock clogs up with the coffee grounds and you can't seal it. Next I going to try putting the coffee in a slider type zip lock and then in an Aloksack, we'll see. By the way I use an AeroPress coffee maker, not the lightest but it makes great coffee or very good espresso.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools