Topic

Can someone send me a few photos with GPS info embedded?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Can someone send me a few photos with GPS info embedded?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

So the Olympus Viewer 3 software that came with my TG-2 is acting up. The camera seems to record the accurate location of the photo, but when I load it into the software, it maps out my photos about a hundred miles away. Olympus customer support has never heard of this issue, and apparently my case has gone to the "head technician" for review or something like that. It may be a few days before I hear back.

In the meantime, I'm curious to try to import other photos into the software just to see what happens. Can anyone send me an email with the actual photo with GPS info embedded? My email is T R A V I S L E A N N A (at) G M A I L (dot) C O M. No spaces in email, all one word.

Oh, and please indicate in your email exactly where the photos were taken so I know if they're being accurately mapped or not.

Thanks!

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Just sent you two from my TG2
    -Matt

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks Matt. I'm pretty happy with the camera itself, and the 2.0 lens is much brighter than my previous camera with a 3.1. I think it's the software. I'm guessing you're not near New York?

r67i

If I zoom in, one of the photos was taken in the Atlantic ocean.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Anyone with a non-Olympus camera want to send me a few pictures?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Matthew,
    I used another program to map the location of your photos, as well as a few geotagged photos from the internet. The Olympus software seems to put the photos directly east of their actual location, ranging from 45-100 miles away. Latitude seems correct, but longitude is always off.

Weird.

Matthew Naylor

@mrnlegato

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Ah yeah it would have been helpful to tell you where that is :-)
    They should have been on the east and north edges of Splitrock Reservoir http://goo.gl/maps/48frN
    Picasa handled the geotagging fine in my hands… must be a problem with the Olympus software (which I haven't used yet)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Olympus called me today. They found out that there's some sort of bug in the software itself that incorrectly maps photos on a Mac. The technician said that he's elevating the issue to the software developers in Japan. They're supposed to keep me in the loop.

My guess is that eventually there will be an update.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

T-Funk, I think they should give you a free RT to Tokyo for this, to fix it for you. And, you know, for a dozen of your friends to go along, and free saki and Kirin beer and Kobe steaks for everybody. When the apple blossoms are in bloom, of course.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

You're absolutely correct, Gary. Now, can you help me find 12 worthy souls to come along?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Wait, Travis…I'd decide? No, Ide-icide will decide. He's quite worthy himself, you know.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Wait, Travis…I'd decide? No, Ide-icide will decide. He's quite worthy himself, you know."

Oh no! You're not making me responsible for this mess! No way.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

We all need a scapegoat at some point, Doug. Man up.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

C'mon, Idster, how else can we be assured of creating an international incident or two while we're there? We need you!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools