Apr 18, 2013 at 3:52 am #1301880
I was so happy with the performance of my Ruta Locura 850/MYOG Caldera setup:
that I decided to try my hand at a SUL setup. I ordered a 2 cup flat bottom Foster's pot from Zelph and set to making an aluminum flashing windscreen for it. I decided against a cone design since I wanted to be able to roll the pot up in the windscreen to protect it. So I settled on a design inspired by the Flat Cat Snow Leopard:
The finished product is 4.75" high with a 13.5" circumference, 1/4" taller than the pot. Distance from the top of a fresh esbit tab to the bottom of the pot is 1.25". There are 5 x 3/8" intake holes on the bottom (1/4 of the circumference is without holes so it can be faced into the wind) and 4 x 3/8" exhaust holes on top. Weight of the whole setup as pictured is 2.71 ounces, including the pot, lid, windscreen, ti burner, ground shield, ziplock, rubber band and spoon.
I've only done one boil with it so far. Two measured cups of cold tap water with one dissolved ice cube. Set up on a concrete slab, at about 11:30 PM so the temperature was appx. 50 degrees with a bit of breeze. It brought the water to a full rolling boil in seven minutes ten seconds, using 3/8 ounce of esbit.
I am happy with this setup too. It is not quite as efficient as the Caldera Clone, but the performance is very respectable IMO. And I love that I can roll the pot up in the windscreen for protection!
EDIT – weight without the spoon (pot, lid, windscreen, burner, ground shield, ziplock, rubber bad) is 2.4 ounces.Jun 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm #1994690
I did three more boils with this last night.
The temperature was warmer than last time, about 75 degrees, and my elevation is about 880 feet (CA central coast.)
I measured out two full cups of cold tap water each time and added/dissolved an ice cube. The stove was set on a cool concrete slab with a foil ground sheet. Between boils I fully cooled the windscreen/stakes/burner and washed/cleaned the pot.
The first rolling boil took 6:10. The second took 5:40 (not sure what happened there!) Both left 4 grams of the 14 gram esbit tab unburnt. I combined the two unburnt remainders (sandwiched together with the skinny side down) and very nearly boiled two more cups. It was about 10 seconds short of a full boil at 5:20, but then the flame reduced and burnt out at 5:40. I think with a slightly slower burn each time it would have boiled the last two cups. As it stood, the water was at a full simmer so definitely hot enough for tea or to rehydrate food.
I'm not sure why the boil times were so much lower this time around, it doesn't seem that the warmer air temperature would make that drastic a difference. Any insight on that?
I am really happy with this setup, there is no other sub 3 ounce kit I've seen that can equal it. Fuel efficient, quick to boil, and you can toss it in your pack without fear of crushing the pot!Jun 11, 2013 at 7:21 pm #1995766
Dan YeruskiBPL Member
Nice set-up :-)
How many holes at the base of the windscreen and what diameter? Does the esbit burn clean or are you getting a large deposit of soot? Got some after the tests photos of the windscreen and bottom of pot?
Oops, I should have read more thoroughly. I found the answer to the holes :-)Jun 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm #1996393
Thanks Dan, it's a good addition to your pot. I don't have extensive experience with esbit but I think it is burning pretty clean. A small amount of soot, and nothing above the first 1" or so of the pot – very easy to clean up. No photos but I will take some the next time I do a burn.Jun 15, 2013 at 10:38 am #1996902
Dan YeruskiBPL Member
I liked yours so much I had to tinker with it :-)
I thought I'd try it with alcohol. I'm going to use an aluminum flat bottom Foster's and a modified wick type stove which will support the pot. No tent pegs needed. The windscreen has ridges for added strength and it helps keep the shape of the windscreen smaller in diameter of the pot so it hugs the outside of the pot when stored. It does not spring open. I use a stainless steel clip to hold the screen tight against the pot when I'm going to heat water.
The pot with lid, windscreen with stainless steel clip and stove weigh 63grams/2.1oz
Don't know why my little ones don't open up.
View slide showJun 15, 2013 at 6:52 pm #1997020
I like it! The fact that you don't have to use a rubber band to keep it closed around the pot is an improvement. And I am jealous of your tabs, they close up completely – that should improve performance. I look forward to test results. I'm curious to see how the intake ports work out – I placed mine lower so they would below flame height. In my mind that reduces potential interference from wind but I'm not sure what it means for intake and performance.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.