Topic

Temp for Pad or Under-quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Temp for Pad or Under-quilt?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Baxter
    Spectator

@adb0406-2

Just out of curiosity, at what temp do you all add a pad or under quilt to your hammock? I am trying to cut the pad out for weight and space in my bag. I would love your opinions.

Thanks and keep hanging!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I've been in hammocks without a pad or UQ and I find that if there's any kind of a breeze blowing I get cold even when it's as warm as the upper 60's.

You'd probably be okay with a lighter pad – maybe a 1/8" from Lawson Equipment – but I think you're going to want to have something along.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

My experience is pretty similar to Kevin's. Even a little pad goes a long way, especially if there's a breeze. When I started hammocking I was amazed at how quickly my back would get cold after sunset, even when I thought it was definitely warm enough to not need a pad. I quickly learned to bring at least some bottom insulation, even if just a 25" x 30" piece of 1/8" foam.

-David

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Andrew,

You didn't mention what you use in your hammock for top insulation. If you use a sleeping bag that compressed insulation between you and your hammock will probably take you down at least into the 60's at night. It's better than nothing and then you wouldn't need to carry a pad as well.

On the other hand, if you're using a top quilt then you'll want something under you.

Andrew Baxter
    Spectator

@adb0406-2

I do have a summer weight down bag that is light, but I am trying to get to less weight and hoping that the bag as a quilt could be enough. I have to add that I am side/stomach sleeper, so I do have less cubic inches touching the hammock. I think I can be comfortable in the 60's, but below that I think I need a pad.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools