Topic

Current Driducks Sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Current Driducks Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I've been told that driducks sizing varies from year to year. From the size chart on their web page, I'm right at a medium (5'10" 160lbs), but I'm wondering if I should go with a small given that they run a bit big.

Context – doesn't have to fit over a lot of layers, maybe a fleece.

I prefer a trim fit (obviously not going to happen with driducks), but it's more important to me that the jacket isn't too short in the arms or overall length.

Has anybody ordered recently and can comment on what size I should get?

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Can anyone share insight into this?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

They've always been very baggy. Get at least one size smaller

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I normally where Large clothing because I've got long arms and legs. I went with the Large Driducks as well and am glad I did. The fit is still extremely baggy but the arms are almost long enough. I'm afraid if I'd have gone one size down the sleeves would end at my forearms instead of just above my wrist. Just food for thought if you've got long arms.

Adam

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I think a small might work for you. It just depends on the sleeve length.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Get a small. At your height and weight, a small will still be loose fitting.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

I couldn't resist and ordered the $20 frogg togg rain suit, the fit is as people say, massive, I usually take a medium top and the small, which I got, following advice, correct, here, is big, poofy, I could probably wear every layer I own under it.

Very light jacket, 6oz. This is the frogg toggs line of the dri ducks thing.

With my myog silnylon rain pants that's a 9oz rain suit, top/bottom, not bad.

K P
    BPL Member

@schado6

Josiah – Similar height/weight, I ordered Small and the jacket is still baggy enough to wear layers under. As for the pants, they were snug on me across thighs (ie minimal layering), very muscular thighs. If built more like a distance runner (lanky) rather than a fullback then shouldn't be an issue.

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Thanks for all of your insight, I'm going to go with a small. Not too worried about using the pants.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

They are loose.
    But there is a reason.
    You need to be able to move, without stressing them.

IF YOU PUT STRESS ON THEM, THEY WILL RIP APART

read that again.

I am 5-9, 155 lbs , I use medium.
    The small jacket MIGHT work, the small pants will be both too tight and too short to hike in most likely.

My son is 5-8, 150 lbs, and I just got him a medium, he had a small.

I , intend to wear everything I have under it, and sleep in it when needed. So fleece and puffy have to fit, and still be able to move without stressing it.

Best thing you can do is order both sizes, and then decide.

Here is a pic of me wearing medium jacket, at clingmans dome on the AT, I weighed 159 lbs :driduck

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

I got the large frog togs and they were HYUGE. 5'11"+ 200. but they were perfect I just trimmed them to the size and fit I wanted and stitched them back up. trimmed the tops and added a shoe lace for the waist instead of the elastic band. Ill have to go back and weigh them but after I got done trimming them they weighed like 2 oz? or 4oz? I cant remember but I think it was 2 something(pants). I dont use the jacket as I prefer to use my gore shell(luxury).

Ill post again tonight when I get a chance. but trimming them to size is definately the way to go. I could easily take in the sides of a jacket also.

Note: These are disposable to me. I throw them out every year cause they just dont last. Also if you get these remember sil-nylon tape or something to repair them they do tear easily and get pin holse ect ect.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tyvek tape works really well on Frogg Toggs, both dri ducks and other version.

I think what MB said regarding size though, is a very good point. Unfortunately, it also makes it worse for any bushwacking. The way i solved the bushwacking issue so far, is to put a very light, thin, and very breathable layer of Nixwaxed (or Grangers if you prefer) polyester or nylon shirt & pants on top of the Frogg Toggs.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

dont even think about bushwacking in them, unless its wide open spaces. Definitely not in briars that grow in the woods in the southeast US.

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

yeah, you can't get this light without sacrificing something. Bicycle builders say, actually I think it was Bontrager, strong light cheap, pick 2. These are the last two, clearly.

I believe that's an accurate statement re frogg toggs, I don't plan on using mine except for light 3 season, for rainy times I"ll bring a rain jacket that is strong and light, but not cheap.

Good point re the bagginess being required for them not to rip apart.

I'll stick with my silnylon rain pants though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi M.B.,

I wasn't talking about any serious bushwacking, just going off trail some to make camp.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I wear a nylon button up shirt over my dri ducks for anything off trail.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools