Topic

Need help loading halfmile’s waypoints onto gps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help loading halfmile’s waypoints onto gps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

To start off, I am technically challenged. I have a mac book pro and a Garmen oregon 300. Is there a way to get the waypoints loaded into the gps? I tried downloading the waypoints and my computer said I don't have an app to read the download. If anyone can help this would be great. Use small words.haha. I am going to hike the first section of southern cal at the kickoff so any help would be appreciated. I know i don't need it. I did print the paper maps from half mile. But now i want to know how to do it.

Thanks, Josh-lucky charms-

Golden at goeth lake

Michael B

@mbenvenuto

Locale: Vermont

Do you have the Garmin Roadtrip software, or something like that, that can sync data back and forth with your gps? You would need waypoints in a format supported or importable into that.

The other option is to load the waypoints as POIs. There is software Garmin POI Loader for POIs. They will show up as tiny dots on your map you can select and navigate too.

It has a been a couple of years since I have played with either though.

Ryan Bressler
    BPL Member

@ryanbressler

Some garmins will show up as an external storage device when plugged into your mac and you just drop the file into the appropriate directory (for a gpx file this is usually something like gpx or garmin/gpx).

Otherwise you need special software from garmin:
    http://www8.garmin.com/osx/

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If all else fails, you can always enter the waypoints manually. That is not elegant, but it works.

–B.G.–

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I too am tech challenged. I have a Dakota 20. I call Garmin tech support and they are always very helpful. I've learned a lot from them.

I was able to load the halfmile data in 2011 through my iMac with their help but I would not be a good coach on how I did it.

Mina

Edited to add detail

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

I appreciate the info. I will try to drag the data to my gps. I din't try that yet. Otherwise i will call garmin. I could try to enter them manually also. Lots of numbers though.ha. Also i alreay have the map disc that garmin makes for the western states in the 21K scale. I load map sets with this. Does this help? I'm thinking that i need to load a map set for that area first then i will transpose the waypoints over this map? Does anyone know if Garmin makes a disc especially for the pct? Or anyone else for that matter that will work with my gps. Somebody should make that. I' sure there is a market for that. One disk for each long distance trail. There'ss my million dolar idea.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Hi Joshua-

1. Download and install Garmin Basecamp software from here:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

2. Run Basecamp and go to your File menu and click Import. Select the gpx file that has your waypoints/route. This will load it into basecamp.

3. Connect your Oregon to your Mac via USB if not already connected. On Basecamp, there should be a list on the left side of your screen listing the waypoints you loaded. Click that to select it then go to your Transfer menu on the menu bar (top of screen) and select Send … to Device. The … will be the name of the waypoints you loaded.

That should get you started.

Mike

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Thanks everyone. Michael whitman gets the grand prize. Thanks man.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Glad to help!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools