Topic

Favorite Hard Anodized Al Pots, solo, 2p and 3-4p group?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Hard Anodized Al Pots, solo, 2p and 3-4p group?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

What's your favorite Hard Anodized aluminum pots, for solo, 2P and 3-4p group? Making a list of hard anodized Al pots as a resource. There seem to be many good alternatives to similar sized Ti pots which are better for cooking in the pot due to better heat conductivity of Al (no hots spots like Ti), and hard anodized Al resists food sticking to it.

Many hard anodized Al pots don't have full specs listed online so hoping you can offer specs on the models you have (width, height, weight with and without lid, weight with and without handle if removable, etc.)

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I have one 2 quart open country pot (really 1.8 liter), great for up to 4 people.

All specs here
    http://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/open-country-2-quart-hard-anodized-pot

5.9 oz. without pot lifter, it has no handles but does have a lid.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

GSI has some nice hard anodized AL pots. I have the 1.8L cook pot that came in the '09 Dualist cook kit. The pot (with handles) and supplied lid weighs 8.9 oz. I also have the Halulite tea kettle. The pot & lid (with bail) weighs 6 oz.

EDIT TO ADD:

Here are the weights broken down:

1.8L pot without lid & handle: 6 oz
    Handle for 1.8L pot: 1.4 oz
    Lid for 1.8L pot: 1.4 oz

(I know those numbers don't add up to 8.9 oz, so between the 3 separate pieces, there is an extra 0.1 oz that is not showing up when weighed individually. But, when weighed all together, it is 8.9 oz.)

The Kettle w/o lid & bail: 4.3 oz
    The bail for the kettle: 0.5 oz
    The lid for the kettle: 1.2 oz

Hope this helps some.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

SOLO -> 3 cup from Trail Designs. Fits my Sidewinder Caldera Cone stove

TWO PERSON -> JetBoil 2 liter pot W/ finned heat exchanger on bottom. Great for melting snow.

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I don't really have any pots larger than 1.3l … having said that I'm fond of my Primus ETA 1L powerpot – not the lightest but it's a good size and I find the heat exchanger fins do make a difference. But it's non stick.

Hard anodized I have a 1L Primus Alutech that is a fine pot and works quite well but I'm not sure it's any better than the cheap Coleman Max hard anodized set I started with other than rubber on the handles and a smaller/lighter lid.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

@Eric – is that the Open Country 3-cup pot? I have the Anti-gravity 3-cup in plain Al ie 710 mls, no handle, with the original Al cone, and it's a great pot.

I am thinking of getting a Ti inferno sidewinder kit and new pot to go with it. How well does it all fit in the pot, does the stove go in too? Is the anodising showing any signs of wear?

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

For groups, answer is easy — Primus EtaPower 2.1L — weighs 8.8oz with pot, lid and handle (at least, from what I can tell looking at my gear list — can't remember for sure if the removable handle is included in that number, but I think it is since the pot would be hard to use without it). 2.1L is plenty of room to cook for 3-4 people and the fins on the bottle help fuel efficiency. I've used it extensively with isobutane setups, but I've also been successful cooking in it with a Zelph GoTo alcohol stove.

For solo or 2P trips we take a GSI Halulite Minimalist (0.6L). It's not the lightest piece of gear, but it's very functional: 6.1 oz includes the pot, lid, neoprene sleeve and silicone "gripper" (instead of a handle). It works well heating water for two people and the design of the lid and the silicone sleeve mean that it doubles as an insulated mug for hot beverages — that functionality is worth the weight.

In both cases, prices are cheap. The Primus EtaPower 2.1L can be picked up for ~$20 after discounts, coupons, etc. (check coupons and Sierra Trading Post right now); the GSI Minimalist is ~$22 on Amazon or other places.

I'm sure there is better gear out there, but I haven't found anything that competes with either option at the ~$20 price point.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Good idea. I've been turning more and more to HA over Ti lately; comparable weights, durable and so much cheaper.

I have this set from Four Dog Stove. It looks exactly like the Open Country set but the FDS website says "exclusively made" for them. The larger 2L pot weighs 4.5oz without the lid and 6.2oz with their lid. 5oz with a DIY pie-tin lid. Great for a group or even two people if you want to cook.
    http://fourdog.com/5-piece-hard-anodized-aluminum-cook-pots-with-lids/

Trangia has a bunch of UL hard-anodized pots and frypans in their 25 and 27 lines. I have a 1L pot and a 7-inch frypan, about 3oz each. Only drawback is lack of lids but easy to make from pie-tins, foil, etc.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Sumi I also found that the Trangia 27 and 25 pots and Four Dog Sierra set are perhaps the absolute lightest hard anodized pots out there for the volume. The larger 25 series Trangia pots are nice and wide at 7-7.1 in. width.

Trangia 27 1 Liter Outer Pot 2.8 oz, 5.9 in. wide x 2.9 in. high
    Trangia 27 1 Liter Inner Pot 2.8 oz, 5.75 in. wide x 2.7 in. high

Trangia 25 1.75 Liter Outer Pot 4.2 oz, 7.1 in. wide x 3 in. high
    Trangia 25 1.5 Liter Inner Pot 3.9 oz, 7 in. wide x 3 in. high

It looks like the Four Dog Sierra set is the same as the Trail Designs Open Country 3 cup and 2 qt pots (though Four Dog says the Sierra set is made exclusively for them).

Will add the Four Dog sizes and weights later, along with some others I'm waiting to hear specs on.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The 3 cup pot is from Trail Designs. Everything including the Inferno kit fits inside EXCEPT the 12-10 alky stove.

Keep the stove and parts inside the Tyvek sleeves and the anodising stays looking new.

Cole Crawford
    BPL Member

@cdc43339

Locale: Somerville, MA

On the budget side, these are available from Amazon at $13. Listed weight at 3.2 oz for a 20oz (24oz completely full) mug. Downside are the handles – not heat resistant. Solid for the price point though and as a solo mug.

Mark Olah

@gorgar3141

Locale: New Mexico

I also have the 2L Primus eta power pot with the heat exchangers. Can't say I use it for backpacking as I have several nice Ti pots (MSR Titan) which I prefer. I use it mainly for car camping. The fins and increased conductance of Al definitely make it much faster. I do have problems getting the heat exchangers to mate well with stoves with shorter radial arms. With my MSR simmerlight the arms of the stove get caught on the pot and you have to kind of shake the stove off while you lift up the pot. Also a problem is my Soto OD-1R, where it won't sit flat. The pot works perfectly with my snow peak lite max, and would likely work with most alcohol stoves.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools