Topic

Coffee Grinder for H2JO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Coffee Grinder for H2JO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stefan hoffman

@puckem

Locale: between trees

I was just curious about how hard it would be to make a coffee grinder that is built into a cap that screws directly onto the H2JO coffee filter thingy from GSI. It ended up taking me about 10 minutes to convert my old wooden box hand grinder into a really solid frankengrinder prototype. Its fairly light and gets the job done better than the original grinder did. All i needed for the conversion was some random cap i found (nalgene cap would work better but i dont have a spare) and a small cat food can. Drilled 4 holes and cut out the cap and can with a dremel.
    To use it i just screw the grinder on, grind directly into filter while water boils, pour water over, replace cap and swish to steep. Done.
    I can and will make the whole thing much lighter. But for now it works and i'm pretty stoked about how easy it was.

Grinder threaded onto H2JO1

Whole rig on Hydro Flask, View of inside.2

Tim Anderson

@timbikeswitzerland-com

I too enjoy freshly ground coffee on the trail. I have taken a plastic disposable pepper grinder (about 25g with the container that is enough for 5-6 cups) and use that to grind the beans on the trail, and then filter with the h2jo.
    I usually just grind using a commercial machine to the finest possible setting (Turkish coffee in Europe). The grounds are so fine that they settle to the bottom of the cup and can be swished out once I've finished my coffee.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Stefan,
    If a "BPL Genius Award" existed, I would nominate you.

Repurposed.
    Hacked.
    Simple.
    Effective.

Nice Job!

stefan hoffman

@puckem

Locale: between trees

Thanks, Greg.

The pepper grinder really doesnt work at all in my experience. It would take me at least 15 minutes to get enough chunks of coffee beans to fill the H2JO. The grinder i made here is still adjustable so you can get course grind or really tighten it down and get powder like turkish grind. You can also just screw the grinder directly to a nalgene or hydro flask for cowboy coffee or to use the turk method.
    I shortened the spindle, cut extra off bolts, and put a lighter, smaller handle on it. Its down to about 4 ounces by my estimate.
    I cant wait to have fresh ground coffee up on the mountain….but since it just snowed 15 inches, i dont have much choice in the matter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools