Topic

Knots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I like knots, so I thought I would share my list.

Trucker's hitch for tying down with maximum tension, kayaks, firewood, etc.
    Adjustable grip hitch is my newest addition thanks to an earlier post, best adjustable loop and tension adjuster for guy lines.
    Round turn and two half hitches for making a rope fast to any post or ring, like mooring my buddy's bass boat.
    Sheet bend for joining cord of same or different diameter, joining rope to tarp.
    Clove hitch for PCT bear bag method.
    Constrictor knot for binding bundles of poles, etc.

I try to find ways of using knots in daily life. Already this saved me some garage space by hoisting my bikes into the rafters. Anybody using interesting or specialized knots at work or at home on a routine basis?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

A bowline is kind of handy if you need to put a loop on the end of a rope.

A prussik knot is kind of handy if you need to have a moving grasp on a rope.

–B.G.–

Daniel Pittman
    Spectator

@pitsy

Locale: Central Texas

Alpine Butterfly Loop

Dragon Bowline

One-handed Bowline

All manner of pin and spar hitches

Lashing techniques

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I use bowlines, figure of eight and round turn with two half hitches most.

Jim H
    BPL Member

@jraiderguy

Locale: Bay Area

I'm new to knots, but I just discovered the siberian hitch. It is my new favorite knot for tying tarp lines to trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_hitch

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Hey that Siberian hitch is very cool, thanks for sharing!

Rarely i get to use the Alpine Butterfly, fixed loops in the center of a rope is just not something I need very often. The bowline Ive used alot too, maybe more than any other knot, but I recently decided that the adjustable grip hitch is just as easy with the added benefit of being adjustable.

I'm in the process of teaching my girls (9-13 yrs old) some of the basics, especially when we go camping since I usually have them setup camp for us. So far they have used the bowline for loops on the end of guylines and half hitches for a bunch of other stuff.

Not sure why I'm so drawn to knots. Probably because deep down I know that eventually all civilization will collapse into a fiery inferno of chaos and the only thing that will save my family from complete annihilation is one, well-executed knot.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I cannot believe nobody has mentioned the Monkey's Fist, the only knot that can hide a giant gemstone and/or knock someone out cold. A lead fishing weight concealed inside sweetens it up a bit…
    It can be used to throw a line ashore, toss a lifeline to a fellow drunken pirate, as well as commit various forms of larceny and aggravated assault.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

The Monkey's Fist is just a legend man. Everyone knows that it does not really exist. No living man can form is mysterious curves and bends, much less wield it effectively without killing himself. Everyone, please ignore this man, he obviously has had his cookies tossed one too many times.

I mean, look at his avatar for christ sake.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I think it's great you're teaching your young girls. When I was growing up it wasn't common even to be taught them in girl scouts, at least not the troops I was in. I've become proficient in a few, thanks to YouTube and Animated knots by Grog.com. Bowline, trucker's hitch, clove hitch and marlin spike hitch are the ones I commonly use for backpacking and paddling. I would love to learn more, but find that if I don't use them on a regular basis I don't remember them.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

One summer while I was in the Army, we had a school of rappelling. Among other tasks, I had to teach the basic knot class. I was amazed at how many guys didn't know how to tie any knots at all other than a granny knot. Even after I supposedly taught them how to tie a bowline and they tied one, we had to go along and check everybody's knots visually before they actually went over a cliff with one.

–B.G.–

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I'm still trying to get past the square knot. I did learn how to properly tie my shoe laces a while back though.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"…I did learn how to properly tie my shoe laces a while back though."

Do you use an Ian knot or a double slipped reef knot? :)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

> Do you use an Ian knot or a double slipped reef knot? :)

Duh? I don't know.

I'm just a dumb backpacker, not a sailor.

All I need to do is tie my shoes, adjust my guy lines once in a while (line locks or fixed guys work better for me), and sometimes hang a bear bag. So I use knots but they are never the same and I only know how to tie one official knot. I don't bring ropes with me either.

All of this sounds mucho macho to me.

… However if it counts, I can overall a car engine :)

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Well, if I ever need an engine rebuilt, I'll teach you how to tie a few really special knots like the Monkey Fist in return for parts and labor…
    Deal?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Deal.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Back in first grade, Sr Jackie was aghast that I could not tie my shoe laces. This gaunt woman looked uncannily like the actress who played "the wicked witch of the west" from The Wizard of Oz. However, being a French-Canadian nun, Sr Jackie was far scarier.

Sr Jackie made me get in front of the class and I had to practice tieing my shoes in front of everyone until I. Got. It. Right.

My six year old self was sweating bullets. I finally got it right after a half hour of humiliation and embarrassment. Love those old school nuns! :)
    I learned both how to tie my shoes and that old French-Canadian nuns could break down a marine drill instructor without breaking a sweat.

So my affinity for knots never did blossom. Sure, I made a half-hearted attempt when I was in Boyscouts for two years. But I never did get past the square knot (And tieing my shoes. 'Natch). Despite my outdoor skills, knot tying was not high on the list of how I could wow people. :)

A few years ago, I started alpine climbing. Somehow learning to tie a knot seemed a tad more important.
    The figure 8 was mastered. The clove hitch kept me safely anchored in. A Prussik did wonders.

And unlike Sr Jackie, my climbing buddies aren't quite as scary. They even take turns buying rounds of beer. :)

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I've been climbing in Yosemite and the High Sierra for over 30 yrs. Never heard of using a clove hitch to anchor. Somehow I think I'd like something a little more solid. Just a thought….

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

It is for tying INTO the anchor and not the anchor itself.
    http://climbing.about.com/od/climbingknots/a/Clove-Hitch-For-Climbing.htm

Being a burly climber of 30 yrs, I suspect you know that….and have no intention of being persnickety and sarcastic to win Internet points. :)

Jeremy and Angela
    BPL Member

@requiem

Locale: Northern California

It always bugged me when one of my shoelace knots would rotate around to point fore-and-aft, rather than lying with ends tidily to each side. I finally figured out why when I found Ian's site, and since then I also use his "better bow" (rabbit goes twice around the tree).

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don't want to start an flame war, but, myself, I'd rather take the time to tie a better knot. From the website you referenced.

Problems with the Clove Hitch

The clove hitch, however, does have some problems. These include:
    •The clove hitch is not as strong as a figure-8-on-a-bight knot or a self-equalizing figure-8 knot for tying into anchors.
    •The clove hitch loses strength if it’s not tightened down after being tied.
    •The clove hitch can slip when it’s loaded with either the weight of the belayer or a climber below, especially if it is not tightened.
    •The clove hitch can slip if it’s tied with a stiff, wet, or….

It only takes one mistake when you're climbing.

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Ah, but there are advantages..and that's why you are careful. :)

Trust me, my buddy is a climbing instructor for the CMC and is know for being conservative with climbing. He's been climbing for roughly the same span you have have.

I readily admit I am not an expert..but do trust my friend.

Feel free to e-mail any further follow up directly.

Otherwise I may have to say what the 12 yr old boy scouts called a square knot. And it was not not Politically Correct. :)

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

I once knew a guy who did not know how to tie his shoes. And he's dead now. Knots are serious business, I dont care what Nick says.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So far, the Farrimond is my favorite guyline knot. Anyone know anyone any better that is relatively easy to learn, fast, and very easy to undo?

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

The Farrimond is another I had not seen before, awesome! So many of these are discussed on the bushcrafter pages. Maybe I'm a closet bushcrafter?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I used to climb quite a bit. Also a fisherman (mostly saltwater, but flyfishing too). Hard to escape tying knots if you do either. Do you need a ton of knots? Probably not. But I enjoy knowing them and seeking uses for them.

On an aside, I find knots fascinating. It's the romantic as well as artist in me. Some knots are clumsy workhorses, others beautiful and elegant. The Siberian Hitch mentioned earlier is a beautifully simple work of art and design in my opinion. I like the mix of form and function involved.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools