Topic

ipad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ipad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I only have an Incase Snap case over my iphone 5 and I carry my phone in my front pocket. It gets used a lot. There's almost no weight penalty. If it were to rain, it would go into a ziploc and maybe into my pack. I never buy insurance for electronics – new models come out often enough that I would just get a new one if needed.

If I were carrying an iPad, I'd have a similar case – ie no impact protection. If anything, I'd slip it inside a ziploc bag which would then get wrapped in some clothing.

Mike

Brian Kelly

@brik9876

+1 on life proof case. I personally still haven't decided on bringing one or not but if I bring my wife and she brings a iPad I feel completely confident that it will be in same condition at end of trip as the beginning. Maybe I'm being naive.

Josh Brock

@needsabath

Locale: Outside

"how much of a weight hit do you take in making sure it's protected?"

what ever a freezer bag weighs? But if I cared what it weighed I probably would not bring it. I have Ul sleeping bag ul back pack ul tarp ul bivy Ul stove. So that I can still carry certian luxuries(DSLR, Ipad, tripod, fishing pole ect.)

"I go through a Kindle in about a year"

That seems rediculous. You should probably just learn to take care of your stuff. Heavy use is not and excuse all my iphones/ipads have lasted longer than a year and I use my ipad every day.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

@Josh… what an interesting attitude. But if you're able to backpack with your iPad day in and day out in just a freezer bag without ever damaging it then my hat's off to you. I basically only use my Kindle for travel and a lot of that usage is outdoors, at beaches, various climates, stuffed in backpacks, beachbags, daypacks, kayaks… Eventually, they all start to form small web-like cracks from the corners.

>> Heavy use is not and excuse all my iphones/ipads have lasted longer than a year and I use my ipad every day.

Is your "every day" usage in backpacking/outdoors conditions? I mean, sure, my previous cell phone lasted 8 years until I finally decided to upgrade to a smartphone. And I have a laptop and a tablet that I use every day and commutes with me in my briefcase but usage conditions are completely different.

Paul Mountford
    BPL Member

@sparticus

Locale: Atlantic Canada

I just picked up an IPad Mini to replace my Ipad 2 mainly for travelling with work (my wife hardly lets me touch the iPad 2). I have not decided if I would ever take the mini backpacking, but I did to a test with it using MotionX in tracking mode. I also used Audible for 2 hrs the first day. I turned off the tracking after almost 40 hrs and the battery was still at 44%.

This would lead me to believe that it would make a practical GPS, camera, book reader and video player for someone to use while backpacking if they were so inclined.

Disclaimer – I hold no shares in Apple!

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

Slightly off topic. I use a first gen iPad at home and I'm preparing to upgrade when the new models come out this fall. I'm curious to hear feedback from people that moved from the larger model to the mini. I use it at home and don't take it in the backcountry, but I do have a multi-month international trip planned for later this year during which time I'll use the device extensively. I now look at everything with BPL goggles, and I don't know if the full size model is worth twice the weight…

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I have the original, iPad 2, and a Mini (well, not all mine but within my family). Moving from the original to the iPad 2 was a nice improvement – lighter, faster, thinner. I don't have the 3 or 4 but in the store those felt heavier due to the larger battery – the screen was beautiful, though. I really like the mini and it will come down to how you want to use it. If you plan on doing a lot of typing (email, documents, notes) or using remote control software, then the larger screen is good to have. On the other hand, if you mostly consume information (rather than create it) on the device, then the iPad Mini is a great size for single handed reading. I prefer to read on the mini (or a Kindle Paperwhite) rather than on the larger iPad.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

My dad had the regular, and my brother. I got the Mini. I had no trouble typing on it, and found it superior to the regular iPad because it seemed to use it's screen real estate better with no effective drawback at all.

I loved the Mini, you likely will too. Since it's in front of your face while using it I see no reason to get a full size, but YMMV.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

I was originally skeptical about the iPad Mini due to its reduced specs (a huge gap to the iPad 4) but after handling one I was sold. To date it has been fast enough and more than capable of replacing my full-sized original iPad in every way.

I also find myself using it and carrying it a lot more because it is more compact, easier to carry, and feels more durable. I do not even use a case for it.

I also have a Kindle Paperwhite and honestly the Kindle gets far less use since they are almost the same weight and nearly the same size!

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools