Topic

MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, 0.9 oz and under $10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

A while back I saw this thread about recreating the Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit, a pretty cool piece of kit long out of production, and was interested to try it. Ken’s link takes you to a webpage where a number of different attempts to recreate the kit are described, and the “winner” is Russell Ijams, whose webpage gives pretty detailed instructions including which pin vise he selected from several he tested (you can find it on Amazon here (*see below), and reading the reviews you will see mention of the Chouinard Kit and the same photos that are on Russell’s website. Although it says stock is limited, click on the “3 new from $7.50” hyperlink. I purchased from Hobby Tool Supply, the second option, and got the vise exactly as described). I noticed that not long after Ken posted the link, that particular pin vise jumped from $2 to $7.50! Maybe a coincidence but maybe a bunch of people suddenly started ordering it for this project.

So obviously this is not my idea, but I just wanted to (1) draw attention to how well this works and how easy it is to make so as to (2) hopefully inspire more folks to try it and (3) share a little bit of some extra details I found through searching to make the process a little quicker. Used Chouinard kits, on the rare occasions they show up, are selling for over $100 on eBay. I’m perfectly happy with my under-$10, all-metal (original was plastic) but still lightweight MYOG version.

All I did upon receiving the pin vise was saw off the 3/32” post on the back of it. Unlike Russell’s experience, for me the post did not fall out in the process of cutting, so I used a file from an old Leatherman to smooth the rough edges from the cut flush with the rest of the end piece.

I did a bit of searching to find more details on the specifics of the kit. Chouinard used a size 16 sewing needle, which I found among the spares in my sewing machine box. The original kit used a 3-inch-long cotter pin, and I’ve not been able to locate the same size anywhere. However, 2.5-inch (3/32” diameter) cotter pins were easily found at the Home Depot for $0.60 for 5, and they seem fine for my size hands. As with the original kit, since the cotter pin shape is similar, it serves double purpose as the T-bar of the stitcher and a tool to quickly rethread pulled drawstrings, a not-uncommon field repair need.

The instructions from the original kit can be found on Google Images, but I found an instructional video on YouTube on how to use the Speedy Stitcher (the Chouinard kit’s heavier grandpa) more helpful. Since the Chouinard kit doesn’t have the thread anchor the Speedy Stitcher does, you just have to hold the thread end with your thumb while stitching.

I decided to leave out some elements of the original kit: the buttons (few if any buttons on my hiking clothes) and multicolored thread from what looks like a hotel “freebie” sewing kit (I am fine to use either the dental floss or black poly thread for all repairs), and the needle threader (I’ve found them to break very easily—though they are very helpful when you have cold hands). Instead of wrapping the thread around a card, I used a thin piece of plastic. But there is a really nice aesthetic to the original kit’s leather pouch that I wanted to recreate.

Ultimately, this is what I found to work the best. It’s a coin purse from Guatemala, stamped with the name of the city where I used to live. I feel like I’ve seen similar keyring coin purses in airport gift shops all over the US, so you don’t need to go to Guatemala to pick one of these up. Now, the whole kit in the picture weighs 0.9 oz, and 0.4 of that is the pouch alone. I’m sure there are lighter options, but the aesthetic of it, the toughness of the leather for protecting the needles (and protecting me from the needles!) and the memories it calls forth are worth those 0.4 oz to me.

full kit

At the time of writing, the only sewing I’ve done with it has been replacing Velcro on a pair of thrift-store Keens I found for my daughter's summer adventures. It pushed easily through the webbing and the sandal body. The whole kit fits into the coin pocket on my jeans and I find that more often than not, I leave the house with it on me.sewing shoes

EDIT: Can't embed the Amazon link for some reason…it is http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Chuck-Keyless-Drill-Electric/dp/B000RB7BN6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1365907521&sr=8-7&keywords=3+quick+chuck+keyless+drill+bit

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Can't embed the Amazon link for some reason

Happens from time to time here. It usually works to create a bit.ly shortened URL and imbed that … as seen here bit.ly URL to pin vise

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I started acquiring the parts to build one of these a few months ago and at the same time decided to create an updated version of the instruction sheet that was included with Yvon's original kit. You can download it from my site here:

chouinard_sewing_kit_instructions.pdf

There seems to be a rendering error on the file I have on my site so PM me with your email if you'd like me to send you it and perhaps there won't be that issue.

Stephen Hoefler
    BPL Member

@talusterrapin

Locale: Happily wandering

This is exactly what I've been looking for! I made the awl a long time ago but have always wanted some instructions to go along with it. Thank you for posting this :D

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

It's a very cool kit. Nice to see the community come together and open-source it.

Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Locale: Midwest

Sam thanks for the email.

Just read an article (May 2013 INC) where Yvonne Chouinard mention they are going to sell a sewing kit. An email from Patagonia confirmed, but no deails or release date. Hope it is a similar kit!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

You're welcome, Curtis. And thanks for sharing the news from Patagonia.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

"Just read an article (May 2013 INC) where Yvonne Chouinard mention they are going to sell a sewing kit."

Here's the article, it's pretty interesting:
    http://www.inc.com/magazine/201303/liz-welch/the-way-i-work-yvon-chouinard-patagonia.html

Yvon is like a MYOG tinkerer, who happens to have a $500 million company downstairs to turn his ideas into products.

"Right now, I'm developing a superefficient camp stove that weighs a few ounces and burns little sticks. "

"Before that, I created a fly-fishing boot with aluminum bars on the sole that works well on slippery rocks."

"We're producing a series of videos to show customers how to fix things themselves. We're even going to make a little sewing kit."

"I've gone back to the fly-fishing that was done in the 15th century, with just a pole and a line on the end with a fly–no $1,000 graphite rod or $500 reel. I love the idea of adapting myself to a situation rather than buying a lot of stuff. People don't need fancy stuff–they need gear that lasts and that works well. I've built my company based on that."

— Rex

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

This is very cool. I just saw the sewing kit at the Patagonia store, $30! Will be making my own, what thread do you all use for the heavy duty thread?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I carry about ten feet of a very strong black nylon thread, and about ten feet of a clear monofilament line. One sewing needle.

All I ever use is black duct tape.

–B.G.–

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

On a little plastic card, I wound strong black polyester thread and waxed dental floss. The waxed dental floss is to approximate the waxed thread in the original Chouinard kit. The poly thread is for clothes, tarp, quilt, and non-stress areas of the backpack. I've never used the dental floss, but I could imagine using it for tears in my shoes or backpack straps. But Bob's post has me thinking maybe the floss is overkill for LW/UL gear? Maybe someone who's a firm believer in floss for repairs could weigh in on its use?

Edited to add: Also, Bob, could you explain what you sew with the monofilament line? Thanks in advance.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Also, Bob, could you explain what you sew with the monofilament line?"

Dainty unmentionables?

I don't know. A friend of mine once gashed open his leg when he stepped into a hollow snow bank with a sharp rock underneath. He sewed up his own skin using monofilament line.

–B.G.–

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

My original Chouinard Expedition Sewing Kit came in mighty handy in Zanskar-Ladakh in 1984, when the shoulder strap on my UltraLight daypack disintegrated, some days from the road-end.

I sewed up a replacement pack using a stuff bag and two straps I had, and it worked well enough for the 18 day trek.

Now its worth over $100? (I still use it, and it ain't for sale!)

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

I ordered some #69 and #92 bonded Polyester thread. Will report back on how it seems when I get it.

Curtis Ware
    BPL Member

@ware_curtis

Locale: Midwest

From Patagoinia Customer Service:

The Expedition Sewing Kit, Style 12000, is expected to be available on the website on 08/29/13. The kits are available at our retail stores now or you can call Customer Service at 800-638-6464 to place an order. Its retail price is $29.00.

Please find below the description for the item:

For repairs in the field, our Expedition Sewing Kit (with carrying case) equips you with everything from a 7075 aluminum alloy awl to thread in ten colors

Forget the ten essentials. Survivalists know you need four: food, water, a good knife and our Expedition Sewing Kit (a revival of our original Chouinard Equipment Sewing Kit). Front and center to the kit’s utilitarian burliness is the all-everything awesome awl. The awl isn’t just any awl: It’s machined from high-quality 7075 aluminum alloy – think climbing hardware and hang glider frames – that sews anything from broken pack-straps to the sole flopping off your boot (the stealthy and creative can probably use it to hunt or fish for dinner, too). Heavy duty needles and thread fix the fussy items, while buttons, pins and colored thread mend the easy stuff; and the Tenacious Tape™ adhesive patch seals together everything from torn down jackets to bleeding wounds (not medically approved).

Included in the kit are:

– 2-piece, machined awl made of high-quality 7075 aluminum alloy
    – Two heavy-duty needles, nylon thread, waxed polyester thread and cotter pin
    Tenacious Tape™ adhesive patch
    – Thread (ten different colors), two sewing needles, two buttons and two safety pins
    – Two-pocket, recycled polyester faux suede carrying case

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please let us know.
    All the best!
    Ting
    Patagonia Customer Service
    http://www.Patagonia.com
    1-800-638-6464
    Patagonia Customer Service Reps are available for inquiries weekdays from 6am to 7pm, and weekends from 8am to 4pm (PT). Phone orders are accepted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Cool to see this rebirthed.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

by the way, I saw the new kit at the Patagonia store the other day. Was pretty neat, and inspired one to make your own!

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

My 69 and 92 polyester thread arrived. Either looks great for outdoor sewing. Will see if the 92 works with the size 16 needle and probably use that if so.

I got a ton of thread, if anyone wants 25 feet or so, pm me with your mailing and email address and I'll send you some (reserving right to cut it off in the unlikely event of an overwhelming response ;-))

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

Locale: Orlando FL

Greg,
    How many 3 inch cotter pins ya need ?
    Mine are cadmium plated unlike the zinc plated cheapos from china.
    These are mil-spec, used for jet aircraft wheel nuts.
    Drop me a PM and I'll get some coming.
    Dan

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Patagonia has their new version of the sewing kit up on their site now:
    http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/expedition-sewing-kit?p=12000-0-130

Daniel, thanks, I'll PM you.
    -Greg

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

I found 18 of them, 3.25 inch counting the staggered end which can be cut off.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

7075 aircraft spec aluminium, mil-spec, cadmium-plated cotter pins…

Isn't this all just a bit OTT for a sewing kit…?

Daniel Collins
    BPL Member

@diablo-v

There is no such thing as a Cad plated aluminum anything.
    Cad is for steel. Anodizing and Alodine is for aluminum.
    There are no aluminum cotter pins used on any aircraft that I know of,
    and there is no mil-spec for aluminum cotter pins.
    Sorry to go off topic.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have one of the original kits. Carried it in my pack for years and never used it once. It is now in my museum (the garage) with all the old stuff — you know, analyze your gear and remove anything you don't use.

Chounaird sewing kit

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> There is no such thing as a Cad plated aluminum anything.

Excuse my poor punctuation; it was meant to be a list of two items that had been mentioned in the thread, only I used a comma instead of a semi-colon….

7075 aircraft spec aluminium; mil-spec, cadmium-plated cotter pins…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools