Topic

Stream fishing in the bay area

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Stream fishing in the bay area

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

Hi,

I'm new to fly fishing and am looking for a route this weekend (4/20) around the bay area. More specifically I'd like to backpack in with my new tenkara setup rather than drive up to a stream.

Any suggestions for this time of year?

Thanks,

Matt

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was hiking in Henry Coe State Park on Saturday, and there were minnows only in the stream by China Hole.

The Ohlone Wilderness has some streams, but too many of them are intermittent and findable only after a rain storm.

Alameda Creek has to have fish.

–B.G.–

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

Yeah I was down near china hole a few weekends ago and didn't see anything. Good to know about Ohlone Wilderness though, that was on my list to checkout.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Henry Coe has pretty decent fly fishing for bluegills and small largemouth bass. Try Bass Pond, altho the low water years haven't helped it much. Spring is the best time. Sometimes getting to the water can be a problem around some of the lakes at Coe and some people carry in float tubes. The fish aren't big but they can be fun, and there is the occasional largemouth that would be a thrill on your Tenkara. There used to be trout, and I caught some nice fish in some of Coe's streams in the early '90s, but a ranger told me a few years ago that all the low water years in the late 90's pretty much wiped them out.

I've heard rumors of fish in the lakes south of Wildcat camp at Pt Reyes, but never checked it out. Maybe Alameda creek if it doesn't run dry.

Lake Sonoma also has some bass and panfish fishing possilities, but I haven't explored them much from the backpack campsites, only from drive in sites. There might be some other lakes/streams as you go up north.

Puta Creek is a drive in stream and has some nymphing for trophy trout during the winter flyfishing only season.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

This isn't a stream, but Hood Mountain in Santa Rosa has some ponds that are full of bass. Fishing in them is almost too easy. It's a short hike in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools